Advice for Purchasing a (used) Bike

Options
Hi all you MFP cyclists!

I did a round of Insanity and am now working on a second round. One of the benefits has been a surge in my fitness level, which has prompted me to want to try some new exercises. First up, I'd like to do some biking. We have some wonderful paved bike and run trails where I live and I'd like to take advantage. Maybe work my way up to off road. I doubt that I'll bike in traffic ever, however.

So I'm looking for suggestions on what to look for in a bike - I think I'd like to go the used route if possible. If it matters, I'm a 5 2 female, age 43.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    You will probably surprise yourself once you buy your bike, what you'll want to do with it. That was certainly the case for me. I bought a commuter bike in May of 2012, and quickly found myself going on very long road trips with it. By September I had completed a century ride (100 miles) and was a full time bike commuter to the tune of 20 miles a day.

Today, I just put a brand new road bike on layaway.
    9448490464_78bbb12a6e.jpg

If you can rent a bike for the day, that would be your best place to start. I wouldn't recommend a used bike for a beginner. Used bikes can be a great bargain, or a huge headache. If you like to work on bikes and don't mind tinkering around on it in your garage, then used will probably be just fine. Otherwise, I recommend going with a new bike. That way there are no surprises--especially while out on the road.
  • MorningWhispers
    Options
    I am 5'3" and the biggest challenge I found in looking for a bike was getting one that was short enough for me. I don't know how long your legs are but my short legs can't handle the full size adult bikes.

I ended up looking for bikes that were aimed at teenage girls rather than adults.

If you don't know the size bike you need go to a bike shop and talk to someone, at the very least get information about what size bike and style bike is going to be best for you and then take that knowledge and start looking around for the bike you want.
    I found mine on Craigs list from a guy who's wife was the same height I am so he knew exactly what I meant when I told him I was having a problem finding a bike I could ride.
  • Smiling_Sara
    Smiling_Sara Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I purchased mine on a facebook rummage sale type page in my area. I adore it. It was certified that it was bought at a bike shop and not a big box store, and has a nice big seat, and was size 26. It was the look at a beach bike-and it is so easy to peddle. I love love love it. I'm 5'3.5 and got it a great deal.
  • jssapienza
    Options
    my wife and I bought ours 7 weeks ago, but we went to a cycle shop. If you really are going to be serious about working out on the bike, I would highly recommend that route. The bike can be fitted to you, and you will be sure of getting an honest report on the condition. Also, they can give you info on little repairs, and probably will even throw in a tune up or two.

In 7 weeks we have gone from couch potatoes to cycling fools. We have a trail right adjacent to our house, and use the bikes nearly daily. As of today, my wife has over 500 miles on hers and mine has over 600 mileson it...we love them!
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Get one that fits.

I would go to your local bike store and check out the used bikes there.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Vintage is not tall people's friend. On the other hand, if you're short the chances of that '92 Trek not working are lower than your chances of getting sized out of the local bike shop's not-kids section. Get a mountain bike if you ever want to ride unpaved bike trails or on sidewalks/roads during construction season. Find out the bike's value on the internet before going to see it. Watch out for wobbly rims and deflated tires (assume they need to be replaced), and if there is any discrepency between the bike's value after any needed repairs and what they want START HAGGLING.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Road bikes are a lot more fun to ride--faster, lighter, and they climb hills better than hybrids or mountain bikes.

If you have a limited buget, try Craigslist, but I would just save up for a road bike at a bike store. They'll find one for you that is the right size--fit is important. Trek, Cannondale, Specialized all make decent entry-level road bikes.
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Get one that fits.

I would go to your local bike store and check out the used bikes there.

^Absolutely this! If it doesn't fit you won't use it! I also second buying a road bike! LOVE mine!
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/collections/womens/road/sport/lexa/

You won't find a better bike for the money.
    & it's brand new!
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the great tips! I think I'm going to try to rent one in town along the trail first and see how I take to it. If so, I'll go check out the bike shop and see whats up.
  • toya1096
    Options
    I went to my local bike shop those guys are awesome, but for me just starting out I didnt have $500 to spend on a "good" bike. However, they were awesome gave me things to look for and gave me my measurement as far as what bike size to get and what type based on what I was going to use it for. I actually found one on walmart.com it looks very similar to the bike ILoveparis posted. Its a road bike and I love it that thing is fast! Good luck and one investment I did make that was great was the padded bike shorts :)
  • mlnick69
    mlnick69 Posts: 84
    Options
    If you do end up buying a bike quality does matter. I upgraded from a huffy mountain bike some twenty years ago to a two hundred dollar diamondback and thought it didn't get any better than that until....about five years ago I purchased a five hundred dollar hybrid bike, which has the frame style of a mountain bike , but with thinner tires and lighter overall. Amazing difference. I rode primarily on roads and like other posters found myself using it to commute, One day I came out and it was gone...stolen. I then bought a road bike and again an amazing jump in performance. Unless you intend to trail ride go for either a hybrid or road bike imo.