Psychological imprisonment of obesity

Options
ayson9
ayson9 Posts: 18 Member
This is not a post to shame or insult anyone who may be obese or overweight but just a post seeking answers as to wondering what type of mentality of people who have issues or obstacles in losing weight.

Factors I could think of is
- medical conditions (thyroid)
- Psychological trauma (teased, bullied)
- No self control
- Inability to adapt and learn positive habits
- Low self esteem?
- Low self confidence?

Any input or personal experience to expand my insight on this?

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    Options
    Fear of failure. If I didn’t try to lose weight I couldn’t fail at it. If I tried and failed at weight loss, I would have to give up my comforting fantasy that someday I could do it.

The end of fun. I thought weight loss would put me on the outside looking in, nose pressed to the glass watching everyone else enjoying themselves.

To my surprise, weight loss is liberation.

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    The psychological trauma is often abuse, not just teasing. Sexual, physical or verb abuse. In the name of "self control," we try to take away one coping mechanism without offering any others to replace it.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I got fat because I love food. I love to eat all the foods. Carbs are a favorite, followed quickly by fats. I got fat because I stopped moving as much as I should. It wasn't a conscious decision or even a thought other than, "tasty, yum, eat more". Add in a bit of a bingeing issue and, boom, 216 lbs after having lost from 229 lbs down to 179 lbs.

As far as losing weight.. I know I can do it. I've proven it to myself already. I just had to hit the point that I was motivated enough to get back on the right track and start weighing/logging again. That meant admitting that I was almost as fat as I'd been before and catching it before it was quite that high.
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I grew up as a foodie. My dad loves food and taught me and my brothers to love food, to always try new foods as well. I didn't know when it stopped when it came to eating, sometimes, so yes I did lack self control, but I wasn't taught portion sizes or anything like that.

On top of that I was bullied during my school years and turned to food for my comfort. I was a big comfort eater and sometimes I am today but not as much as I used to be. I went from eating a lot, to starving myself, and then eating a lot again. That cycle continued until I was 19 and finally got a personal trainer who helped build up my confidence and help me lose weight.

I do believe that I can lose weight. I do believe I can get better, I can get fitter and healthier. Before I didn't, but I do now, and sometimes, for some people it may not always be mental issues or trauma that causes them to not lose weight. Some may find it difficult to lose weight, some may have bone/muscle problems that causes them to find difficulty to lose weight/exercise.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I think stress is a biggie for a lot of folks. Eating offers pleasure and temporary relief from stress. Often, the stress is not obvious, it may be as insidious as plain boredom. Awareness that stress exists and finding alternative coping/relief strategies helps in weight control/loss.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    My greatest obstacle to losing weight, was that I believed I needed larger portions than other people of similar sex, height and activity level. My greatest obstacle to keeping weight off, was not understanding that I can eat anything in moderation, and that food is just as delicious in smaller portions. I have medical issues, some of which actuallly impact my ability to adapt, but hard work can overcome some of that. No medical issues can stop you from losing/maintaining weight. I have been bullied and abused, but I work on self esteem and confidence, and that, combined with education, which removed my fear of certain foods and nutrients, has improved my self control.