What Goes In Must Come Out: Pre & Pro Biotics & Weight Loss

Options
sidcorsini
sidcorsini Posts: 44 Member
It is thought a cocktail of probiotic friendly foods feed these little critters what is required for weight control, increased immunity, and a reduction of IBS. Is this to complex, or is it a 'Doo'-able endeavor in addition to all the other dietary considerations.

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    sidcorsini wrote: »
    It is thought a cocktail of probiotic friendly foods feed these little critters what is required for weight control, increased immunity, and a reduction of IBS. Is this to complex, or is it a 'Doo'-able endeavor in addition to all the other dietary considerations.

It's in such early stages of research that it's not really possible to positively say one way or the other at this point, at least from an evidence-based point of view.

There are plenty of quacks out there who already feel free to spout pseudoscientific woo about it though - and sell you their books and products, of course.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Bacteria exchange DNA between one another often and randomly. This leads to rapid evolution. The rapidity of bacterial evolution within your biome in response to your changing food habits exceeds biologists ability to comprehend the millions of bacteria DNA that can be found in sequencing a stool sample.

Even if they had funding to do such a sequencing project, they still wouldn't know which DNA segments were expressed or silenced.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,419 Member
    Options
    sidcorsini wrote: »

Many prebiotic and probiotic foods are delicious, nutritious, and people have been eating some of them for millennia so they're probably safe. Many are relatively low calorie for the level of nutrition. They might be good for me, and are unlikely to be bad for me. Why wouldn't I eat them?