Confused on how to log avocado calories accurately

Options
It was 3.3 oz weighed whole on the scale. Very small. In the data base, a small avocado is between 130 and 254 calories. Which should i log? It's a big difference...just want to log correctly.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    log it by weight, not size.
  • NewChapterInMyLife
    NewChapterInMyLife Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I couldn't figure out how to do that. Kind of new here...
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    You'll want to weigh it without the skin or pit. Easiest way I've found is to throw the portion you will actually be eating onto the scale. Weigh it in grams. Then search "Avocado USDA" in the food diary. Find an entry that gives 100 grams or 1 gram as an option. If your avocado is 83 grams, and you're using 100 grams option, enter .83 as your weight. If it is 1 gram, then enter 83.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    If you weigh the avocado whole, that's a start. Then cut it, remove the pit, save it, scoop out the good stuff, save the skin. Now weigh the pit and the skin before you discard them and subtract that from the weight of the whole. Then log the final number.

Use the USDA food database definition of avocado, raw.

Search in the myfitnesspal food database for "09037, Avocados, raw, all commercial varieties", and use the little drop-down menu to choose the units you want to log and put your weight and the correct units together.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    search for usda avacado and you should find one measured in grams, and use that entry. I think 3.3 oz is around 94g which would be around 150C.
  • NewChapterInMyLife
    Options
    Ok thanks guys. Live and learn:)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    The descriptions given above, weighing the edible portion in grams and using USDA, is the way to go with all single item foods. Packaged foods, weigh then compare the entry with the packaging.

It is a bit time consuming in the beginning making sure you are using the correct entries, but over time it will be a lot simpler, and more accurate, as your data base fills with your frequent foods.

Cheers, h.
  • NewChapterInMyLife
    Options
    Next avocado I eat, I will apply above said methods. Todays was too late to log correctly...already been consumed...won't be as accurate but I put it at 165 cals.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    You'll want to weigh it without the skin or pit. Easiest way I've found is to throw the portion you will actually be eating onto the scale. Weigh it in grams. Then search "Avocado USDA" in the food diary. Find an entry that gives 100 grams or 1 gram as an option. If your avocado is 83 grams, and you're using 100 grams option, enter .83 as your weight. If it is 1 gram, then enter 83.

Entries in the MFP database that include "USDA" are user-created entries, not ones MFP took directly from the USDA database. To find system entries for whole foods, I get the syntax from the USDA database and plug that into MFP.

USDA: Avocados, raw, all commercial varieties has a corresponding entry in MFP.

Unfortunately, system entries are prone to decimal errors, for example, a 1 g entry might actually represent the calories for 100 g, but these are easy to spot :lol: I just use the 100 gram entry.