Options
kmeyer6979
kmeyer6979 Posts: 17 Member
Any suggestions on a rice substitute?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    You could do cauliflower rice...just keep in mind that it's nothing like actual rice...it's still cauliflower just shredded like rice. Texture and whatnot is not consistent with rice, but it's good for holding a sauce or something if you want to forgo the rice. I usually just have rice.
  • babydueinjuly09
    babydueinjuly09 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like the cauliflower rice. I blend whilst raw and fry in a pan. I add lots of different spices or herbs depending on the meal. So with curry i add cardamon pods, garlic, garam masala. With thai and Chinese dishes i cook in coconut oil and add lemon grass. I usually cook a bit more and have cold the next day with chicken or fish.
  • rj0150684
    rj0150684 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Barley is sorta like rice. Or spelt. Quinoa. Lentils.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    You could do cauliflower rice...just keep in mind that it's nothing like actual rice...it's still cauliflower just shredded like rice. Texture and whatnot is not consistent with rice, but it's good for holding a sauce or something if you want to forgo the rice. I usually just have rice.

I eat cauliflower rice once in a while. With the understanding that it's just cauliflower in a different shape, not rice. It doesn't taste like rice, the texture is different than rice - I mean, it's "rice like", but it's just....not rice.

But I'm with you - usually when I want actual rice, I eat rice.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    There's no substitute for rice imo ...if you want rice have it. I find 50g- 60g (dry weight) is more than adequate per portion - I bulk up all my meals with plenty of veg
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    risotto... :D Probably not what you have in mind. I have to agree with the "why?" sentiment. Make it fit or just don't eat rice (or eat very little).
  • kmeyer6979
    Options
    I see a lot of responses asking why...just looking for something that possibly have a little more nutritional value.. it’s ok if there really not anything else. I’m just not a food expert and figured I’d ask to explore the possibilities. I eat it everyday as part of my meals mixed with carrots broccoli and squash. Thanks for the input everyone!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    kmeyer6979 wrote: »
    I see a lot of responses asking why...just looking for something that possibly have a little more nutritional value.. it’s ok if there really not anything else. I’m just not a food expert and figured I’d ask to explore the possibilities. I eat it everyday as part of my meals mixed with carrots broccoli and squash. Thanks for the input everyone!

Rice is a very good carb source, in the same way that bread and bananas are a very good carb source.

During a big war a few decades ago, a Japanese officer wrote that a soldier could go a long way with just a little bit of rice and a little bit of fish. In so many words, he encapsulated human history. Carbs aren't all we need, but they are an important part of what we need. If you want your carbs to have more nutrition, eat colorful vegetables. If you really want to try to minimize carbs, limit your vegetables to few of the leafy and cruciform kinds.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    kmeyer6979 wrote: »

Meh. Cauliflower rice really doesn't stand out in nutritional value. 47 calories per cup, 3g fat, 4g protein, 2g carbs. Reasonably high in Vit C, but that's about it. Basically, it's just a bland, lower calorie, lower carb alternative.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I love rice but it's fun to try different things too. Freekeh, barley, farro, spelt, quinoa, kamut, bulgar, amaranth, steel cut oats, millet, different types of rice.. wild, brown, basmati
  • kmeyer6979
    Options
    Nice! Thanks again for all the responses and helpful suggestions. I will most definitely try some of these options!
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Maybe try Quinoa or farro mixed with the veggies. They both offer a different nutrient profile than rice.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I like pearl barley - it has a nice texture, sort of pops in your mouth. Takes longer to cook though. I also like to try different varieties of rice. Orzo (essentially tiny rice grain shaped pasta) is good with mixed roast veg and I enjoy giant cous cous; to my mind it has a better texture than regular cous cous. I Haven't mastered Quinoa, always tastes slimy to me. Different varieties of beans are good to mix in with vegetable medley or salads too.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with eating rice if you aren't trying to limit your carbs. I personally eat white rice over brown rice. I did some googling/research and do not eat brown rice due to the phytates/phytic acid.

I also enjoy quinoa, riced cauliflower, and riced broccoli.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I really like quinoa and couscous in place or rice sometimes. Trader Joe's Harvest Grains Blend has an awesome texture, I like it much better than regular rice for meal prep. Also if I'm trying to increase my protein I use lentils in place of rice.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I love couscous because it is ready so quickly. Five minutes and I'm done. I use whole wheat for a little more nutrition.

I used to also fake a risotto using oatmeal to make a savory dish. I'd cook the oatmeal on the stove using less water/milk than recommended and stirring in cheese, onions, and sauteed mushrooms. It was delicious and healthy and a lot lower effort than risotto.
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    If you're not trying to limit carbs, quinoa and couscous are great. I am one of those weirdos that has gotten so used to riced cauliflower that I don't care that it's just cauliflower pretending to be ricelike in texture.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    brookielaw wrote: »
    If you're not trying to limit carbs, quinoa and couscous are great. I am one of those weirdos that has gotten so used to riced cauliflower that I don't care that it's just cauliflower pretending to be ricelike in texture.

It's not weird, it just tastes like cauliflower. I just can't really think of an instance in which I'd want it riced, instead of just chopped with other veggies, lol. Same with zucchini noodles, it won't taste different if it's just cooked in chunks.