Muscle vs Scale in Weight Loss

So I’ve been at this for over a year now, consistently I might add. I lost 50-60 pounds last year and at that point got a personal trainer. So over the last six months, the muscle mass I’ve put on seems to have made me pick up 40 lbs from before but I’m still a size and a half down.

Any tips to overcome and any encouraging words? I know I should feel GREAT about where I’ve come from but that number on the scale is killing me.

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Seems to have made you pick up 40lbs? I'm confused as to what this actually means...
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    I'm thinking the 40 was a possible typo?
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    I'm thinking the 40 was a possible typo?

Yeah, I'd hope so but I don't think it was a typo. When I told a coworker how much weight I had put on during my last bulk they said something along the lines of "wow, that's a lot of muscle!" and looked confused when I told them that "lol, no - half of that is just chub. Now I have to cut to get rid of it". The idea that you gain both seems foreign to a lot of people. They think you just gain one or the other. ;)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    If you have gained 40lbs in 6 months, little of that would have been muscle by the way, then you have been massively overeating - about 770 cals/day.
    Even if you were deliberately bulking as a female that is far too high a surplus which will result in a whole load of fat gain.

Why did your intake change from deficit to large surplus at the time you got a personal trainer? I do hope it wasn't due to following your trainer's eating recommendations?

It's great you are still under last year's start point and you have also learned a valuable lesson that both exercise and food intake matter.

Keep up the exercise but rein in your eating and you will get back on the path to success.