When you lose weight...

Options
When you lose weight, what is leaving your body?

Cite your evidence.

Calories are a measure of energy, not mass. So what is leaving your body when you lose weight and how?

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Just carbon dioxide (at about 44.01 g/mol ), some waste products and water vapor... that and the overall reduction in the body-container to hold less (like lower blood volume, etc., but that's kinda minor for many)

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-30494009 <--- kinda like this

So sweat, blood and tears, plus that breathing thing.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Just carbon dioxide (at about 44.01 g/mol ), some waste products and water vapor... that and the overall reduction in the body-container to hold less (like lower blood volume, etc., but that's kinda minor for many)

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-30494009 <--- kinda like this

So sweat, blood and tears, plus that breathing thing.

Mostly that breathing thing...though hyperventilating won't help.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Wow, no arguments? No asking if it depends on what you ate or how you exercised?

Just good answers.

Yep, the way I understand it is 84% of the fat leaves as CO2 and the other 16% leaves as H2O.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Yeah, good science is not usually controversial here.

I was thinking of this TED talk,which I think says largely the same....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuIlsN32WaE
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I'm still waiting for the "Breathe" Diet plan.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Inedia (Latin for "fasting") or breatharianism /brɛθˈɛəriənɪzəm/ is the belief that it is possible for a person to live without consuming food. Breatharians claim that food, and in some cases water, are not necessary for survival, and that humans can be sustained solely by prana, the vital life force in Hinduism. According to Ayurveda, sunlight is one of the main sources of prana, and some practitioners believe that it is possible for a person to survive on sunlight alone. The terms breatharianism or inedia may also refer to this philosophy when it is practiced as a lifestyle in place of the usual diet.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting for someone to claim that it's converted to energy, ya know like that Einstein guy said...
  • annaskiski
    Options
    Sunlight is energy :)
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    I'm waiting for someone to claim that it's converted to energy, ya know like that Einstein guy said...

I fart rainbows, does that count?
  • annaskiski
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Jruzer wrote: »

I fart rainbows, does that count?

Rainbows are refracted sunlight, so yes.
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for the "Breathe" Diet plan.
    Ancient history actually...

Google "Greer Childers" and her Body Flex stuff from the 1990's, paying particular attention to her "Be A Loser" book and related stuff... ( in all fairness, some of this breathing stuff may work the Transversus Abdominus muscles, which are notoriously overlooked by other exercises, IMHO -- but totally not about pushing Krebs through hyperventilation!)