Mentally Healthy Foods

Options

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    All the mouth can taste is sweet/salty/bitter. All the nuance we are getting from our sniffer.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    macaroni and cheese is my mental mood enhancer. and chips and salsa.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    raymax4 wrote: »
    Yes indeed grilled cheese and tomato soup! I am not alone in this!

I love grilled cheese paired with tomato soup but grilled cheese doesn't need the soup to be delicious and satisfying. There will be no more blasphemy in my thread!!

• NovusDies
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    :)

Oh, yes, I have unsweetened chocolate. But Baker's is I believe 16 squares in 4 oz now, and Hershey's is 8, so my issue is with the conversion. And if by "chocolate" she meant unsweetened, which I'm sure she did due to the amount of sugar.

Another fun thing about old recipes is that they never list the oven temperature, so I assume she meant 350 degrees F.

I wish I could help. I only bake bread and rolls. I don't think cookies matter too much on temp and the recipe calls for 5-10 minutes which is a crazy spread. Anywhere from 350 to 400 should do the trick I think.

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    "mentally healthy" I thought you were talking about...fish. brain food. you are talking about food that uplifts the soul. ok . that's a good thing. I would not kick the rules and regs to the curb but I would include them...most definitely.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I love those old recipe cards (especially when they have food stains!). and anything I find with my mom’s handwriting on it. It kind of makes me sad that my kids won’t really have that familiarity with my handwriting.

Speaking of, one of my nostalgia recipes is this freezer cheesecake my mom used to make for my birthday. Graham cracker crust, and a filling that when I found the recipe had an ingredient I had to look up - Millnot. Also powdered lemon jello and cream cheese. A very unique texture - I never knew till I was an adult that most cheesecakes are baked!

I just had to google milnot. I think I would probably like the freezer cheesecake. I find the 'real' thing too sweet and rich for me.

Something I didn't learn until adulthood was that steaks are actually good if ordered medium rare.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    @carvedtones I imagine many of us have holiday type food memories. Cinnamon rolls are one of mine.

@kam26001 If costo polish dogs float your boat then great.

@raymax4 PB and pickle is an interesting pairing. Was that something your mom or dad did or just a personal preference?
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    @carvedtones I imagine many of us have holiday type food memories. Cinnamon rolls are one of mine.

@kam26001 If costo polish dogs float your boat then great.

@raymax4 PB and pickle is an interesting pairing. Was that something your mom or dad did or just a personal preference?

I don't really have any mentally healthy foods that remind me of good times but I *have* tried a pb & pickle sandwich! I read a series of books by Sue Grafton and that's something the main character would eat. It's pretty darned good.
  • NovusDies
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @Healthyhunny231567 Movie snacks. Definitely. I am a longtime raisinnettes fan.

@corinasue1143 Exactly. How can that NOT be good for you? This is and the BLT is kind of reminding me that we did not have much bacon in my house growing up.
    jgnatca wrote: »
    All the mouth can taste is sweet/salty/bitter. All the nuance we are getting from our sniffer.

I believe you missed sour and the new umami discovery.

@AnvilHead I was trying to take it beyond just comfort foods. I don't necessarily need a trip down memory lane I just enjoy it from time to time.