Kimchi brands?

Options
RadishEater
RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
Hello all,
I recently tries kimchi at a restaurant and it was great!
Does anyone have a favorite brand from a large grocery store?
At moment I'm a bit time crunched so I'm not looking to make it myself or stop at specialty stores to get it.

Replies

• skorpi09irl
    skorpi09irl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Me and my mom used to buy a brand called “Kings”. The store I shop at doesn’t have that one so I switch up between the ones they have. I forget the names but, I find there isn’t much difference between them. I think it as more to do with what they make the kimchi with. I like the Napa cabbage ones best.
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    There's a brand called Wildbrine sold at Whole Foods. I've tried their other fermented products but not the kimchi though.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    kballsocc wrote: »
    Hello all,
    At moment I'm a bit time crunched so I'm not looking to make it myself or stop at specialty stores to get it.

Equally love kimchi. When we're able by preference we make Maangchi's quick and easy cheat kimchi recipe, otherwise we'd resorted to most of the following:
    • Mother-in-law's kimchi (Tried and liked )
    • Sinto gourmet kimchi (Tried and liked)
    • Sunja's (Only if you're desperate)
    • Our local Albertson's is now stocking Pickled Planet kimchi, only we haven't tried it.

ETA: sp@ brand name
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Hello all,

Well, I've failed miserably at making kimchi at home so support your quest :smiley:

Here are Bon Appetite's picks. I've bought Bing Gre Kimchi at Kam Man in Quincy, MA, and it was how I remembered it from Okinawa, which is the closest I've been to Korea.

20110304-kimchi-taste-test-bing-gre.jpg
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    If you have Korean market in your area, they often make kimchi in house. H Mart is one of the bigger chains. Way better than anything you'll find in the general supermarket chains like Kroger or Albertsons. Walmart kimchi would be a crime against nature.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Hello all,

Not a fav brand but look for the ones without MSG. Yes they do exist.

So I did a brief skim of recent abstracts from google scholar on MSG causing headaches and there seems to be still conflicting data on whether MSG causes headaches and other bad symptoms in humans or if there a small population that is more sensitive or really the symptoms are due to something else.

One thing that I can't seem to determine is if MSG in just sold in asian food products in the USA or it MSG widely used in asia in cooking too. If it is the latter, have people built up a tolerance to it? Otherwise wouldn't there be a large amount of people with headaches, nausea etc.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Considering that MSG is found naturally in some foods, and the initial reports of headaches or other effects were as much driven by racism and fear of exotic cuisines prevalent in the mid 20th century, I'm not that worried about it. I'll take such warnings with a grain of sodium salt of glutamic acid.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I make my own, without MSG, and it's easy. I don't need to buy any.
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options

Impressive
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    orangegato wrote: »

Impressive

its not that hard to make. my ex was japanese and made it (he was also a chef but its still not hard)

as for me, i hate it, hate the smell, and wont allow it in my house lololol