2 things I'm struggling with right now

Options
Not so much as a struggle but a realisation of how important it is to go for the foods you want and log them in, making sure you are at your calorie goal, while also making sure you eat enough to keep you satisfied and healthy wrt vitamins etc. Completely unsustainable to deny yourself of foods you love. I've found that I've become 'scared', for want of a better word, of certain foods I used to eat and love. Such as good quality grain bread with butter spread on. Pizza, french fries, mashed potatoes. I'm not afraid of carbs as such, just the density of cals within. Also liquorice. I'm aware that I'm denying myself these, thus risking a big binge on them, but still considering how to add these back into my diet without blowing it. I just don't know how to do it. Nor do I know how to move to maintenance - still 8lbs away.

Second thing is the money it will cost to join a gym. Silly to stress about it really, but I've done this without a gym for so long. I'm happy to pay for the kids' extra curricular activities but for some reason spending money on myself is hard. It of course just means a little less money for movies and other entertainment but that's life, right? I wish I knew why I feel so guilty over this! I think it has to do with the time I would be out of the house and away from the kids if they need me as well.

Replies

• hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    8 lbs to go! Wow!
    google and learn 'mindful eating' and savor a slice of pizza occasionally
    you need to learn how to live happily ever after including happy about maintaining your weight
    also there are lots of workout routines on you tube and seeing you work out would set a good example
    you don't really need a gym to be healthy.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Do you plan your meals? Could you also plan treats?

If you go to the gym more, you won't have as much time for going to the cinema anymore. You don't even have to go to the gym. Figure out what you want. Ask yourself some "whys".
  • Pastaprincess1978
    Pastaprincess1978 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I semi-plan, but yes I do need to do that better.
    So what do you mean I don't have to go to the gym? As in exercise in other ways and maintain a small calorie deficit?
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    Yes, you can exercise without a gym, and you can even lose/maintain weight without exercise.
  • Pastaprincess1978
    Options
    yeah, I know, I just worry about sustainability with my history of eating kah-rap!
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    When I stopped calling foods I like, crap, I started to be able to moderate my intake.
  • Pastaprincess1978
    Options
    yes, probably my struggle exactly. I read your bio and you mentioned starting to trust yourself around food. My problem exactly. Also relying on exercise cals - unsustainable ones - to keep me under target.

But I want to trust myself again and feel confident with eating, not restricted and 'scared' of some foods.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    yes, probably my struggle exactly. I read your bio and you mentioned starting to trust yourself around food. My problem exactly. Also relying on exercise cals - unsustainable ones - to keep me under target.

But I want to trust myself again and feel confident with eating, not restricted and 'scared' of some foods.

what are you doing currently for exercise that is unsustainable?

have you thought about a diet break, as a practice for maintenance?
  • Pastaprincess1978
    Options
    swimming for 1/2 hr 5 days a week, the walking/running I do is sustainable and I could do more of it - 20 mins daily every day would be sustainable.
  • Pastaprincess1978
    Options
    I kind of am on a bit of a break in that I snack on fruit between meals
  • Pastaprincess1978
    Options
    still losing - but down to the last 10 lbs and a lot slower
    maybe 0.5 lb a week is all now.
  • Pastaprincess1978
    Options
    Yeah I read it - refeed for sustainability?
  • xelsoo
    xelsoo Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    When I was in maintenance I found the two important things that helped me stay there were not stressing over food and upping my exercise in ways I didn't mind. For example, I walked or would use my bike everywhere I could, everyday, and this way even if I didn't go to the gym, I had a small deficit already. I'd take the dog on longer walks (just increasing each walk by 10 minutes is 30 minutes more at the end of the day).

Not stressing over food was so so important. Allowing all foods into your diet (in moderation obvs) will wipe the feeling of deprivation away and thus the attractiveness of gorging down too much of it. Also balancing out the calories throughout the week as some days would be heavier than others. So if I had the chance to have a small lunch on my own, I'd take it and then have a nicer meal for dinner with friends or whatever. I know this all sounds easy to say and it's actually a struggle, but it's a day to day thing that you slowly get the hang of if you don't pressure yourself.

I'm still learning myself - also got 8 pounds to go!
  • Pastaprincess1978
    Options
    thanks :) I also take the opportunity to have a small breakfast and lunch on weekends :) You look great btw :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Does "pizza" mean to you diving face first into a wagon wheel sized pizza and eating until you are at bursting point or does it mean eating a reasonable sized portion that fits your calorie and nutrient goals and stopping when you have had enough?

Does exercise mean burning calories or does it mean spending an investment in time and money to keep yourself fit and healthy while hopefully also enjoying the activity?

Your kids deserve and will benefit from a fit, healthy and happy Mum who sets a great example to her children.
  • Pastaprincess1978
    Options
    wrt pizza - good point - I usually eat it with steamed veg on the side and feel altogether happy about it - I guess I've shied away from it while trying to get this last few lbs off.

incredibly good point about fit and health Mum and investment....I needed that comment!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,891 Member
    Options
    Second thing is the money it will cost to join a gym. Silly to stress about it really, but I've done this without a gym for so long. I'm happy to pay for the kids' extra curricular activities but for some reason spending money on myself is hard. It of course just means a little less money for movies and other entertainment but that's life, right? I wish I knew why I feel so guilty over this! I think it has to do with the time I would be out of the house and away from the kids if they need me as well.

Make exercise/fitness your entertainment. :)

I don't know how old your kids are, but my parents both cycled and got me and my brother into cycling when we were quite young. On weekends we'd do that together as a family. We were also into long walks and hikes. In the summer, just about every weekend we'd be going somewhere and doing something active.

When I hit about 12, I started learning cross country skiing in school, so my parents bought us all a set of cross country skis and on any nice day after school or on the weekends we'd be out skiing.

Skating and swimming are other options you could do as a family as well ... and there are probably a whole bunch more as well.

If your kids are younger and you feel you should be home, get a decent treadmill or trainer for your bicycle and set it up in front of the TV ... watch TV with your kids while you run or ride the bicycle.

There are lots of options for being active that don't involve the gym.

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    gyms are a luxury and not necessary.
    with a healthy diet, vitamins are not necessary. my dr. called them expensive pee makers
    i working on making healthy food i enjoy. like from runners world cookbook. so i squeeze as much nutrition out of it as i can. and i still have pizza and candy.
    food is neither bad or good. food is fuel. your relationship with food is good or bad or anywhere inbetween