Quick Fitbit Question

Options
I have a Charge 2, and the “calories burned” was pre set and doesn’t change. Should I make it the same as my calorie goal at MyFitnessPal? Right now it’s quite a bit higher. Thanks:)

Replies

• melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Huh? The calories burned was preset? I don't know how that can be as Fitbit's job is to measure your calorie burn. Do you mean the rate of loss was preset and it gives you more calories to eat? To fix that you just go to your goals and set it to the same rate of loss that you have in MFP.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Thank you! It was the burn goal that Fitbit set for me. It was confusing because it was so much higher than what MyFitnessPal gave me.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    It's a burn goal - to help you get moving.

Say you know you can eat well and adhere and sustain it if you can eat 2000 calories daily - but you want to lose 1 lb weekly.

So you better burn 2500 daily minimum. Set your burn goal to that.

It has no bearing on math MFP does - merely for devices that show where you are in daily movement goal.

For sure do not make it the same as your MFP eating goal.

Since not using Fitbit for eating goals, someone limited for their own math with it - but still good if you know you need to get to moving.

Then again if you have a nice even number like that - probably not hard to keep it in mind when you look to see current daily burn.

You'll learn how much you'll earn for evening hours, and at what point in time you need to reach what goal to hit the overall daily burn.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Thank you! It was the burn goal that Fitbit set for me. It was confusing because it was so much higher than what MyFitnessPal gave me.

Your MFP goal is an eating target. Your FitBit burn goal is a total daily burn target which includes your BMR, your day to day, and exercise. Your FitBit target isn't an eating target.

Like my FitBit daily burn target is 2800 calories...I'm typically anywhere between 2800-3000...so to lose weight, I eat less than that...like 2300-2500 to lose 1 Lb per week.
  • workinonit1956
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Your MFP goal is an eating target. Your FitBit burn goal is a total daily burn target which includes your BMR, your day to day, and exercise. Your FitBit target isn't an eating target.

Like my FitBit daily burn target is 2800 calories...I'm typically anywhere between 2800-3000...so to lose weight, I eat less than that...like 2300-2500 to lose 1 Lb per week.
    Thanks so much for your kind reply :). I get it now, I couldn’t figure out where the figure came from and this explains why it was so much higher!
  • workinonit1956
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    It's a burn goal - to help you get moving.

Say you know you can eat well and adhere and sustain it if you can eat 2000 calories daily - but you want to lose 1 lb weekly.

So you better burn 2500 daily minimum. Set your burn goal to that.

It has no bearing on math MFP does - merely for devices that show where you are in daily movement goal.

For sure do not make it the same as your MFP eating goal.

Since not using Fitbit for eating goals, someone limited for their own math with it - but still good if you know you need to get to moving.

Then again if you have a nice even number like that - probably not hard to keep it in mind when you look to see current daily burn.

You'll learn how much you'll earn for evening hours, and at what point in time you need to reach what goal to hit the overall daily burn.
    That was so enlightening, thanks for taking the time to explain:)
  • melissa6771
    Options
    Ok, so this is new to me. I'm looking in my Fitbit app, so if I click on calories, and then on settings, is this the number of calories burned under activity goals? I never even noticed it because it doesn't show up anywhere on my dashboard or notifications. Is there a reason to change it? And how do you know what to set it to? Mine says 2708, my calories before exercise on MFP is1250 but I work out almost daily doing 45 min weights and 20-30 min. cardio.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Ok, so this is new to me. I'm looking in my Fitbit app, so if I click on calories, and then on settings, is this the number of calories burned under activity goals? I never even noticed it because it doesn't show up anywhere on my dashboard or notifications. Is there a reason to change it? And how do you know what to set it to? Mine says 2708, my calories before exercise on MFP is1250 but I work out almost daily doing 45 min weights and 20-30 min. cardio.

I'd suggest if you've never even noticed it or added it to your dashboard - likely not useful.

Only reason to change it is if you are going to use it.

Suggest reading my post in this topic as to what to use, if even used.
  • gdnaegle
    gdnaegle Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My fitbit and MFP still aren't syncing. I have uninstalled and reinstalled both apps. This us aggravating.
  • justanaverageguyxyz
    justanaverageguyxyz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    gdnaegle wrote: »
    My fitbit and MFP still aren't syncing. I have uninstalled and reinstalled both apps. This us aggravating.

What Fitbit do you have? My Versa won't sync nor will the partners IONIC, but I am now back to using the trustworthy surge and they sync.
  • melissa6771
    Options
    gdnaegle wrote: »

What Fitbit do you have? My Versa won't sync nor will the partners IONIC, but I am now back to using the trustworthy surge and they sync.

My versa is synced just fine. It's not the device that syncs to MFP, it's the Fitbit app.