why am i so hungry!!!

I've been on this diet for 81 days - why am i so hungry now? - I hit the dreaded plateau for three weeks... didn't lose anything!!!! - finally started losing again last week, but i am so hungry and i am eating the same amount of calories as before the plateau just exercising a little more. I'm down 30 lbs total but I don't want to backslide because i am so hungry all the time now. any suggestions?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    How many calories are you eating per day and what is your goal rate of loss per week?
  • kymmymeredith
    kymmymeredith Posts: 4 Member
    iam eating 1290 daily and i have been losing 3 lbs a week ( except the plateau weeks) and then last week i lost 1.5 lbs
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member
    Is it hunger or appetite?

A critical component of my personal success was learning the difference and developing coping mechanisms to not respond to appetite signals.

http://diet.mayoclinic.org/diet/eat/hunger-versus-craving?xid=nl_MayoClinicDiet_20180305

I drink 16 oz water prior to meal time. I know which foods satisfy me for long periods - eggs/oatmeal/popcorn for example.

Could be the stress of not seeing movement on the scale in the past three weeks (also not a plateau as first of all they aren't real and take 6 weeks). Let it go. Focus on the gains that are not scale related. You were on a great path - keep with it. Weight loss is not linear.
  • dondotwinks
    dondotwinks Posts: 93 Member
    Do you eat your exercise calories back? is 1290 right for your activity level if you aren't?.
  • kymmymeredith
    thank you all for the insights and advice - and the good articles... <3
  • kymmymeredith
    i started out at 298 and currently am at 267. In the 83 days, i have cut the calories as far as i can, and i exercise 30 mins or more daily where as i used to not exercise at all. I still have a huge way to go to reach my goal of 198. I understand i need to adjust some things since the loss is slowing but I don't want to maintain the weight i need to continue to lose. If i add calories back, how will i lose?
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    edited May 2018
    Eat more foodz! Seriously, honey.. at 267, you can EASILY eat 1700 and still lose at a steady pace (as steady as weight loss ever is) ~ I am 5'4", starting weight of 216 and losing consistantly at 1600ish calories. You will NOT maintain or gain at 1700. You could likely eat 1800 and still lose. Enter your stats into this calculator: https://tdeecalculator.net/
    That will give you a good idea of what your calorie burn is. As long as you eat less than that, you'll continue to lose.

ETA: I am sedentary most of the time. I just started walking some within the last two days. Prior to that, no exercise at all.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    i started out at 298 and currently am at 267. In the 83 days, i have cut the calories as far as i can, and i exercise 30 mins or more daily where as i used to not exercise at all. I still have a huge way to go to reach my goal of 198. I understand i need to adjust some things since the loss is slowing but I don't want to maintain the weight i need to continue to lose. If i add calories back, how will i lose?

I have never taken my calories as low as yours and have lost. You will be ok. Losing slower with a program you can maintain is healthier long term.

When I started losing again I was about 185lb averaging 1500 cals before exercise adjustments and I’ve successfully lost 30lb. Losing weight doesn’t have to mean starving or feeling bad
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    I agree with then people above. Eat more, but also remember that our hormones change and brains change. The body does not like to lose weight. It likes to be comfortable. Exercise helps me with some appetite control, as well as eating windows. Might not help you, but it's worth a try.