Exercise routine help

Options
Chikika
Chikika Posts: 28 Member
Hi everyone. I'm not new to exercise but I am newish to lifting heavy. I wrote out a program I've been following and I'm hoping someone more experienced might look it over and give some critique. I'm not sure if I've missed any muscle groups or if some are being done too much.

My schedule right now is running 3 days a week (M-W-F), approx 30 minutes, approaching the end of C25k. Weights 3 days a week (Sun-T-Th) and Saturdays rest. I do 10 minutes of abs each day. I'm alternating between a workout A and B for weights that looks like this:

Workout A

Squat 5 x 5
Bench Press 5 x 5
Bent over row 5 x 5
Lateral Raise 5 x 5
Hammer Curls 5 x 5

Workout B

Squat 5 x 5
Overhead Press 5 x 5
Bicep Curl 5 x 5
Tricep extension 5 x 5
Deadlift 1 x 5

I wrote it out inspired by stronglifts 5x5 but with a little extra. Are there any glaring flaws? A major muscle group I'm missing?

Thanks for reading :)

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    It's usually best to follow the program as written, but that doesn't look horrible. I'd keep the arm curls & arm extensions equal in sets. And doing more than 2 minutes of abs is usually pointless. What is your goal?
  • Chikika
    Chikika Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My goal is to increase strength and stamina, and I'm aiming to lose .5 lb per week(20ish to lose). I'm in the process of joining the armed forces so I'm prepping for that.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    At some point i'd be training for the specific exercises that are on the physical test. Their website has that info. You may need to modify your lifting routine.. like reducing benching & abs sets if you do pushups & situps.
    By the way, i'd treat abs like any other muscle and take a rest day after working them hard. :+1: