This has to be incorrect - low fat veggie and low fat beef bolognaise only 1000kj for 300g?

Options
Pastaprincess1978
Pastaprincess1978 Posts: 371 Member
edited May 2018 in Food and Nutrition
rbo4t2ru3a9k.png
Hope my screenshot worked, if not it contains:
0.40 gram (One dash), Salt
2 teaspoon, Sugar
500 gram, beef
15 medium, Tomato
2 medium, Carrots, raw
50 ml(s), Wine - Table, red
0.33 tsp, Oregano
250 g, Pasta Spirals
100 g, Red (capsicum/peppers)
21 cloves, Garlic, raw
1 tbsp(s), Dried Chilli Flakes
2 tsp, Oil - Olive
in the recipe, which yeilds approx 3315g for the whole batch.

I ate 330 g in my portion and that alone was about 950kj according to mfp - whole batch was about 9950-10000kj.

This sounds way low even though the beef is low fat, I added barely any oil (2 tsp as in recipe) and I loaded it with carrot and peppers (capsicum) and of course the 15 tomatoes.

Could this be right? Did I input the recipe correctly do you think?

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    I made a batch of bolognese with 80% fat ground pork this week, and it came out to 404 kcal (nearly 1400 kj) for a 333 g serving. I'm confident in my recipe entry.

Just realized you included the pasta in your recipe. I log my pasta and sauce separately. I think that would tend to reduce the energy (kcal/kj ) per gram of the cooked product, given the water weight of cooked pasta.

If I were you, I would double check the entries you used for the beef, pasta, and tomatoes, as those are main sources of energy in that recipe. (Also, in future, you do better to weigh your tomatoes -- no way to know if your idea of a "medium" tomato matches the definition used by the person who created the entry.)
  • Pastaprincess1978
    Options
    Yep - 100% confident on the weight of the beef - the tomatoes and peppers and carrots not so much - anyone else want to weigh in (pardon the pun) on this? I am really confused. btw 250g pasta was dry pasta - I re-weighed it after cooking - 520g and included that in the final weight of the batch.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Yep - 100% confident on the weight of the beef - the tomatoes and peppers and carrots not so much - anyone else want to weigh in (pardon the pun) on this? I am really confused. btw 250g pasta was dry pasta - I re-weighed it after cooking - 520g and included that in the final weight of the batch.

@lynn_glenmont meant check the entries for those foods, not the amount you used. Does the information in the database entry match what you expect for those foods?
  • Pastaprincess1978
    Options
    ok cool just logged it on another website and it came out as about 10500ish for the whole batch - feeling a little more confident in it now.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options

So about 20% of the weight of your entire recipe is water that the pasta absorbed during cooking, which adds weight but no calories. That was my point vis-a-via the pasta.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options

@lynn_glenmont meant check the entries for those foods, not the amount you used. Does the information in the database entry match what you expect for those foods?

Thanks @livingleanlivingclean.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    That sounds weird. I'd definitely triple check your entries (it doesn't show if dry, raw, or cooked in your picture, which is a bad sign).

When I made Bolognese (using 93% meat), it ended up being around 200 calories (850 kj) for 250g, and that's just the sauce.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    When I make spaghetti bolognaise my recipe comes out to 357 calories per serve for the sauce. I get 3 serves from a recipe that uses 500g of mince meat ( what you call ground beef)
    So total amount just over 1000 calories.

I weigh and record the pasta separately.