full cream milk vs skim? CICO users weigh in on this?

Options
From a CICO weight loss perspective: any benefit on full cream vs skim apart from fewer cals in skim and you may feel fuller on full cream (thereby eating less and helping stay under goal)?

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Pick what fits your calorie target. If you need some extra dietary fat, full fat milk or 2% probably would taste better at least.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    What do you mean CICO users? CICO describes the fundamental energy balance that governs all weight loss, gain, or maintenance. Everyone in the world is a CICO user...

Choosing between full fat dairy and skim milk really comes down to personal preference and what you can accommodate in your calorie and macro budget.

QFT
  • Pastaprincess1978
    Pastaprincess1978 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    lol I know - I guess I was just pointing out that I don't believe in keto or whatever
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Try them both and see which works better for you. Personally, I don't find liquids to be very satiating, so I drink nonfat milk for less calories. I only use whole milk as creamer for my coffee.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Every one of us uses CICO.

I don't drink milk, but all the other dairy I consume is full fat.
  • Pastaprincess1978
    Options
    Skim froths better. I like frothy milk in my coffee.

yeah I get that too :)
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I used to always go at least 2%, often skim because of calories. Then I started looking at more recent research and now only by whole milk.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/02/12/275376259/the-full-fat-paradox-whole-milk-may-keep-us-lean
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I don't drink milk but I go non fat for most dairy. Mainly because I eat a lot of avocados, almonds, pistachios, and olives. My favorite snacks. Otherwise my fat macro would be way too high comparatively.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I like mostly full fat and cream when I'm bulking, 1-2% when I'm losing. It depends on how you want to spend your calories, what you find satisfying/filling and which you enjoy the most.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I was raised on low fat milk so I find the consistency of whole milk weird. And skim is like white water :disappointed: . So I use 2%. I mostly use it in my coffee and cereal, so the few cals diff between types isn't really a big deal. If you use a lot, you have to figure out the right balance for you between what you like and what fits your cals.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I was raised on low fat milk so I find the consistency of whole milk weird. And skim is like white water :disappointed: . So I use 2%. I mostly use it in my coffee and cereal, so the few cals diff between types isn't really a big deal. If you use a lot, you have to figure out the right balance for you between what you like and what fits your cals.

If you haven't yet, try Fairlife - their skim is much less watery.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »

If you haven't yet, try Fairlife - their skim is much less watery.

I have, yes. Their skim is definitely better, but their 2% is even better better :smile:
  • strongwouldbenice
    strongwouldbenice Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I have light milk and low fat yoghurt just because I don't notice much of a difference, but I do notice a difference in getting to have more avocado or peanut butter
  • Pastaprincess1978
    Options
    Thanks for the thoughtful replies, all :) I tend towards 2% but hard to get here in China!
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I usually use 2% Low Fat, never Skim Milk.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    CICO is calories in-calories out, and thus the process that controls weight up/down. Even if you mean calorie counting, I don't see any relevance. But anyway, I switched to full fat "everything" when I switched to MFP. I don't know if it makes me feel fuller. Because I also educated myself on hunger and satiety, and realized that mild hunger is normal and perfectly fine to tolerate. It's more that it feeds a mindset of normality and enjoyment, of trust and confidence - I can eat what I like, no foods are off limits, so there is no reason to overeat, so I usually don't.