Struggling to eat enough veggies AND calories/protein

Options
carolsoules
carolsoules Posts: 34 Member
edited May 2018 in Food and Nutrition
I just started my cut two weeks ago. I'm 5'4"/140lbs/22% body fat, eating 1736cal/day, burning probably 500-700/day exercising (lifting, LISS, and HIIT, throughout the week), and my macros are at 40% protein, 30% carbs, and 30% fat.

I'm also a huge believer in micronutrients and whole/"clean" foods, so it's important to me that I eat a ton of veggies, but they're high-volume, low-cal, and low-protein.

So I find myself in a position where I'm struggling to finish my meals and hit my calorie/macro goals at the end of the day. Even with all the exercise, I feel like I'm forcing food down my throat to meet my macro and micronutrient needs. Fruits are great for micronutrients+calories but I can't eat much fruit or I'll go over my carb limit. Like, I need those 2c of spinach to get enough vitamin A/calcium/potassium/iron, but after I eat them I don't really want my chicken breast.

I already use things like protein bars/shakes and nuts/nut butters to get protein and calories in less filling packages, but STILL.

Halp.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Eat more red meat and less spinach?

If you struggle to get enough protein, plan your meals by adding a protein source first. If you struggle with fat, add that too - or choose higher fat protein sources. Add your vegies and carbs afterwards - you don't get extra credit for eating excessive amounts (coming from someone who has to make an effort to limit their intake as it was getting ridiculous - I still eat between 1-2kg of fresh vegies and a bit of fruit every day)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    It seems like you are unnecessarily complicating your diet, and as a result of you aren't hitting your goals. You have to modify or compromise it somewhere unless you want to be miserable and uncomfortable. To me if I am not hitting my calorie goals then that is the most important.

I love healthy whole foods too but you don't have to hit your macros exactly everyday and as mentioned once you get enough you don't get bonus points the more vitamins you eat (especially at the cost of not hitting your goals). Get enough protein and fat, let carbs fall where they may. Eat a variety of fruit and vegetables with each meal. Add some fun foods you really enjoy or add more calorie dense ones.. avocado, oils, more high fat protein sources, dairy, protein pancakes, pasta etc.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Beans and lentils are fibrous like vegetables and are also higher in protein. Soybeans, Edamame and Tofu have a near perfect macro profile.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    If you struggle with vegetable volume, roast them. They shrink so much, a whole head of "cauliflower popcorn" would fit into one bowl. Eat some whole fat cottage cheese for snacks (was going to recommend less fat but edited after remembering you didn't want volume). This should help a bit with protein. Roasted chickpeas or peas are also calorie dense with a little bit of protein thrown in. Why is your protein goal this high anyway?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    If you struggle with vegetable volume, roast them. They shrink so much, a whole head of "cauliflower popcorn" would fit into one bowl. Eat some whole fat cottage cheese for snacks (was going to recommend less fat but edited after remembering you didn't want volume). This should help a bit with protein. Roasted chickpeas or peas are also calorie dense with a little bit of protein thrown in. Why is your protein goal this high anyway?

Oh yea this. 1g per lb is more than enough when cutting. You really don't need more than that unless you enjoy it or it helps keep you full (and in your case if you are struggling with fullness it could definitely help to lower it and add macros elsewhere)
  • vallary14
    vallary14 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Maybe cut the protein bars and shakes? I agree your protein goal seems really high, your body can only use so much protein. Maybe allow your macros to flex a bit more in order to get your micros? Forcing yourself to eat more doesn’t sound like a “healthy” way of eating, food is more than food or fuel, you should enjoy it too.