Just found out I have bipolar

Options
Anyone else have experience with this? It explains my highs and lows over the years but how do you manage it? How do you function when the lows come?

Replies

• MyrsineAconitum
    MyrsineAconitum Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Managing it is hard, for sure. I always seem to be fluctuating with my medications as my highs come around every few months and then my lows (cold, grey winters don't help with the lows.) The hardest part was accepting I'd have to take medication for the rest of my life to help control it. Otherwise I'm a manic mess. And sometimes I don't function when I'm low. My first extended depressive episode knocked me out of school and work for about 3 months a few years ago until my meds were aligned better. Exercise helps a LOT when the lows come around. My psychiatrist always recommends going for walks outdoors, not just exercising indoors as well. Good luck with everything! I've been dealing with it through therapy and psychiatric visits for the last ten years or so, so let me know if you have any other questions :smile:
  • joebennett21
    joebennett21 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Did the medications help a lot? I'm so "good" 80% of the time, then my "lows" come and I am so dysfunctional, I just fall apart. It's tough because when I found out I have bipolar it just made me even more depressed. Don't want to work. Just want to lay around and do nothing.
  • MyrsineAconitum
    Options
    Ohhhhh yeah. The lay around and do nothing vibe is strong with me when I'm low. Medications helped immensely, though! It's just frustrating when it takes a while to get the dosages right.
  • joebennett21
    Options
    I'm scared to take medication but maybe it will help me stay balanced. I have a full time job, co-own a business, I'm married; all these things get messed up because of my bipolar.
  • MyrsineAconitum
    Options
    Yeah, my husband definitely puts up with a lot with this illness. He tells me I'm so much better with medication. It's different for everybody, but all my bipolar buddies (I know a surprising amount of bipolar people) swear by medication. Not trying to pressure you into anything, just giving my perspective, and it might help. It's funny, but I actually miss my manic swings. I got so much done, or at least I think I did... I probably was more like a hummingbird flitting from project to project. How did you get diagnosed if I may ask? I was the classic case of being awake all the time and scrubbing behind the oven at 3am with a toothbrush. It was pretty scary but easy to diagnose.
  • joebennett21
    Options
    Is bipolar pretty common? Do you feel pretty normal on the medicine? Thanks so much for responding to my post btw. I appreciate it a lot.
  • weebo1980
    weebo1980 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I dont have Bipoar but i have Autism and that has lots of highs and lows it is not easy i wish you well
  • MyrsineAconitum
    Options
    No problem! I think it's being diagnosed better these days. And I'm around a lot of people in their early to mid-20s when it tends to become visible. I feel completely normal on medication. (With the caveat that Ability made me hungrier than usual and Wellbutrin made me not hungry at all. Those were the only things I noticed about them.)
  • BipolarSora
    BipolarSora Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have type 2 bipolar disorder with severe depression. I been hospitalized twice for attempted suicide. The only thing that has helped me was trial and error to find the right meds and exercise... That's it. Not even family n close friends can help me. Without my pills. I'd b dead. I love them. I take Abilify. But like all meds. Some people love em while others hate them. I hope we can help you through whenever the lows hit... Your not alone!!!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    it is not uncommon.
    medication is a tool. it can help. find a doctor you can put your trust in. they will help decide what your treatment protocol should be. medication, therapy and/or excercise etc