How to stay track after surgery

Options
Yellerie
Yellerie Posts: 221 Member
edited May 2018 in Motivation and Support
I had a major hip surgery due to hip dysplasia & I can’t even completely weight bear yet (7 weeks since my surgery) he will allow some light weight bearing now as of last week but still have to use crutches till at least till the middle of June. I’m currently going stir crazy & obviously exercise is not on my radar at the moment & even watching everything I put in my mouth my weight is still creeping up a bit 5 lbs in 7 weeks & I don’t want to go backwards with my weightloss currently down 35lbs any thoughts or do I just need to be patient till I’m back on my feet appreciate any thoughts people want to share. Thanks :)

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    The inability to move much really cuts down on the number of calories you can burn so you need to consume less than you did when you were active in order to maintain your weight. It's best to pause weight loss while healing so that you can use that energy toward getting better.

How closely are you logging your calorie intake? My suggestion is that you shave off a few calories here and there with smaller portions to reduce your calorie intake just a bit (to maintenance rather than creeping gain) until you've healed.
  • Yellerie
    Options
    I haven’t been logging on here well just on paper & I decreased from 1500 calories to 1200 but unfortunately I’m at the will of whichever family member is cooking for me so I went from eating high protein meals Pre surgery to a lot of carbs post surgery (pasta is an easy to make meal) I guess I’m just frustrated I’ve already lost 70 lbs a couple of years ago then gained it all back & then some when they put me on high doses of steroids for my MS & I didn’t fight the weight gain hard enough then & don’t want it to happen again. Thanks for you response
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Would they be willing to microwave you a separate meal? I like many of the Lean Cuisine frozen dinners and have them with bags of steam-in-bag veggies.
  • Yellerie
    Options
    I think I’m gonna have to do something like that it’s making me crazy I’ve worked so hard to start loosing again & I don’t want to gain it back. Luckily I need additional sodium so frozen meals work with what I need. Thanks for your help
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You are right to try and get a handle on it now. Good tips above.
  • Kelsterina
    Kelsterina Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    A little late to the game, but I hope you are off crutches and feeling a little better! I had hip surgery twice and gained a lot of weight - I wish I'd been more diligent early on but it crept on over the course of a few months and now I'm struggling with it. Hip surgery is hard/really exhausting. Hope you are recovering well!
  • inconsequential01
    inconsequential01 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Had 3 ops and colon removed. Recovery time was difficult not being able to exercise beyond light walks. Just hope you give your body the time to heal and dont push hard too quickly. The guide on calorie count is def good.