Coconut flour

Options
Spitspot81
Spitspot81 Posts: 208 Member
Does anyone use coconut flour? If so what do you use it for?

I have seen a few recipes for porridge/oatmeal which uses coconut flour instead of the oats-seems to be a high protein alternative to carb packed oats.

Am interested to hear anyone’s comments

Replies

• crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    My favourite thing to make with coconut flour is muffins. This is the recipe I use:
    http://www.delightedmomma.com/2012/10/flourless-lemon-poppyseed-muffins-paleo.html

I’ve used the base recipe to make different types of muffins, not just lemon poppyseed.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Spitspot81 wrote: »
    Does anyone use coconut flour? If so what do you use it for?

I have seen a few recipes for porridge/oatmeal which uses coconut flour instead of the oats-seems to be a high protein alternative to carb packed oats.

Am interested to hear anyone’s comments

I sometimes use coconut flour, primarily for homemade flatbread varieties depending on what I'll be helping my sister with in the kitchen, for our dinner or brunch.

Coconut flour is different however IMO, so I always bind it with another flour when making flatbread. It's not like oat flour at all. Think cornmeal. Think cornflour, with how you'll need to use it with something else. If you don't mix it with another flour, you'll have to use a lot of eggs - 6 to 10 depending on what you'll need to make. The reason you'll need to mix it with something else is, it lacks the gluten. If you were in Africa, they would ferment the mixture a little bit, before making pancakes or their varieties of flatbreads and anything really.

Bob's Red Mill is pretty stable, but it is never always available, if you're in a small town.

If you're breading meat(s) say, you can use the coconut flour as is, herbed or spiced.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be eating it as porridge - that would be like wallpaper paste.

I have used coconut flour, mainly in protein pancakes. It's ok - quite drying to be honest (it absorbs a lot of moisture). I've never baked anything with it as the amount of eggs in the recipes is usually ridiculous.

Green banana flour is something I prefer - lots of fibre, supposedly good for gut/colon health. Not as dry in my pancakes!