Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

CICO and calorie counting explained by analogy

2»

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Well done Aaron as always.

I like using the vehicle/fuel tank analogy as well, especially in comparing fuel use and metabolic rates. Metabolism is mass dependent - some people are like a Prius...others a Titan and fuel intake and energy required for basic function is variable. The difference is that biological systems are adaptable and you can adjust your intake and output over time and effect your mass.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Great read, thank you!
  • gia_incognito
    gia_incognito Posts: 103 Member
    I think it's funny that people are upset about TL;DR guy. He's obvi just a troll.

That being said, I tried to read it and I couldn't figure out what it meant. And I know what CICO is. So maybe some people have reading and comprehension issues. Or maybe they just like formulas instead. Live and let live. ;)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I think it's funny that people are upset about TL;DR guy. He's obvi just a troll.

That being said, I tried to read it and I couldn't figure out what it meant. And I know what CICO is. So maybe some people have reading and comprehension issues. Or maybe they just like formulas instead. Live and let live. ;)

If someone has reading comprehension issues, appropriate responses would include asking follow-up questions of OP or simply not posting anything at all.

If someone prefers formulas, there is no reason to expect others to restrict their comments accordingly. It's just a personal preference and the rest of the world isn't obligated to communicate only in that way.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member

Was there something in particular you found confusing about the OP? Aaron is quite patient and willing to try to explain things in different ways for different people, or perhaps one of the other posters reading along will take a stab at translating it if you clarify what was difficult to follow.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member

The main tank, the different types of fuel, and the reserve tank were used as analogies to macros and fat.
    I can see that certain people, engineer types of math-dominant brains, could get lost in the engineering problem of how the single motor could use all those fuels. It only takes a second or two, but it's an external combustion engine, and before the poor dude is halfway through the story he chasing rabbits.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Thanks for the effort but CICO isn't exactly rocket science. Anybody without the intelligence to understand the basic concept either won't want to read the essay or they won't understand the analogy if they do read the essay.

For the non-CICO believer crowd, pictures would probably be better.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member

The main tank, the different types of fuel, and the reserve tank were used as analogies to macros and fat.
    I can see that certain people, engineer types of math-dominant brains, could get lost in the engineering problem of how the single motor could use all those fuels. It only takes a second or two, but it's an external combustion engine, and before the poor dude is halfway through the story he chasing rabbits.

I'm an engineering type and I know that the Army had multi-fuel engines in Deuce and a half trucks. So the idea of different fuels really didn't bother me.

FWIW
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    edited July 2018
    MichSmish wrote: »
    TL;DR *shrug*

Sometimes understanding things takes a little bit of work. Not much. Other people figured this out, it's just being explained to you. Apparently that's too much.

How about this instead: ITS MAGIC!!1!