Entering my first cut.

Hi all I’ll be entering my first cut at the end of this month as I’ve been bulking for 5 months now and I’m kinda going in blind..
At the moment all I know that I’ll be doing is cutting my calories by 250 and keeping the protein the same and I’ll also be sticking to the same workout aiming to still progress and make strength gains.
Has anyone got any tips or advice for cutting? Any interesting facts or general guidelines that could help me both mentally and physically? Thanks all!

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Don't expect strength gains continuously or consistently.

It's just a phase of restricted calories... Heading over to the weight loss section of the forum would be a better place to get tips
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    kazane1 wrote: »
    Hi all I’ll be entering my first cut at the end of this month as I’ve been bulking for 5 months now and I’m kinda going in blind..
    At the moment all I know that I’ll be doing is cutting my calories by 250 and keeping the protein the same and I’ll also be sticking to the same workout aiming to still progress and make strength gains.
    Has anyone got any tips or advice for cutting? Any interesting facts or general guidelines that could help me both mentally and physically? Thanks all!

Have you actually figured out maintenance now then?
  • andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    I would highly recommend laying out a plan of goals in terms of how much and how fast you want to lose. For example that you want to lose 15lbs in 30 weeks. With the deficit you have now you should not expect to lose more than 0.5 lbs per week, but with that smaller deficit you might also keep more of your strength and muscle mass. Also if you have an activity monitor I would recommend keeping a track of your NEAT, as your body tends to trick you into expending less energy by walking a little bit less and doing less random movements when you are cutting.
  • kazane1
    kazane1 Posts: 264 Member
    Don't expect strength gains continuously or consistently.

It's just a phase of restricted calories... Heading over to the weight loss section of the forum would be a better place to get tips

Thanks!
  • kazane1
    But you've changed your routine so many times and cutting so early, do you expect to see anything?

Yeahh I was still doing some sort of routine before doing this PHAT routine and I have been doing this PHAT routine for 2months now. So I will see some results because I have put on muscle.
  • kazane1
    kazane1 wrote: »

Have you actually figured out maintenance now then?

Yeahh I have. My calorie intake routine and goals are all on lock now :)
  • kazane1
    andreaen wrote: »
    I would highly recommend laying out a plan of goals in terms of how much and how fast you want to lose. For example that you want to lose 15lbs in 30 weeks. With the deficit you have now you should not expect to lose more than 0.5 lbs per week, but with that smaller deficit you might also keep more of your strength and muscle mass. Also if you have an activity monitor I would recommend keeping a track of your NEAT, as your body tends to trick you into expending less energy by walking a little bit less and doing less random movements when you are cutting.

Great, thanks for the pointers I’ll be sure to apply them :)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    This is an interesting sticky thread which I actually forgot about:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10320115/cutting-techniques-post-bulk/p1

And while I do agree that cutting is mainly just eating in a deficit, your goal is going to be to maintain as much muscle as possible as you lean down (not everyone trying to lose weight has that goal). Also.. depending on how lean you want to go, it can get very very grindy. At that point different techniques can be utilized to help.
  • kazane1
    edited May 2018
    @sardelsa
    Awesome! Thank you :)