Running Mechanics

Options
OldAssDude
OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
I notice when I try to run, and as soon as my foot hits the ground with a slightly bent knee, I bend my knee further to reduce the impact, and then push it almost straight again to move myself forward. This seems to take a lot more energy, and it don't take long before my HR is in zone 4/5 and my breathing is labored. Also the muscles in hips begin to stress fairly soon.

When I run keeping my leg pretty rigged when my foot hits the ground with a slightly bent knee, it kind of feels like a spring action and seems to take a lot less effort. There is more impact, but not to the point that I feel like I's stressing more than my body can take. I feel like I can go much longer as far as my HR and breathing go, and I don't feel that stress in my hip muscles. This way also feels much more natural to me.

Can someone tell me which way is the right way?

There is so much conflicting information out there, and I am trying to improve my running form.

I am working on striking center mass, using good posture, and increasing my cadence.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Right way is whatever way is most comfortable to you and doesn't cause injury.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Check this book out: https://www.amazon.com/Runners-World-Your-Stride-Faster/dp/1623368979

No nonsense in there. Just some good advice. Run naturally is good advice but there are a few things you can do to improve your form.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Go with the more natural and comfortable way. If you try to visualize what your body is doing, you'd see that the slightly bent knee is already removing the bulk of the impact force even though you're keep your leg relatively rigid. It predisposes your leg/body to flow with the impact motion instead of against it. No need to flex your knee further upon impact. That would likely lead to an inefficient exaggerated bouncing motion.
  • OldAssDude
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Check this book out: https://www.amazon.com/Runners-World-Your-Stride-Faster/dp/1623368979

No nonsense in there. Just some good advice. Run naturally is good advice but there are a few things you can do to improve your form.

Thanks. I'll check it out.
  • OldAssDude
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I read about the natural spring action of the joints, and think I was canceling that out by letting my leg bend more after the impact, and that was causing me to have to exert much more energy, because I had to push off with my legs instead of letting the natural spring action do that work.

I think I'm watching too many YouTube video's and making it much more complicated than it is.

I do work on my posture, striking center mass, and those types of things though.

Thanks again,
  • ElC_76
    ElC_76 Posts: 3,054 Member
    Options
    OldAssDude wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I read about the natural spring action of the joints, and think I was canceling that out by letting my leg bend more after the impact, and that was causing me to have to exert much more energy, because I had to push off with my legs instead of letting the natural spring action do that work.

I think I'm watching too many YouTube video's and making it much more complicated than it is.

I do work on my posture, striking center mass, and those types of things though.

Thanks again,

Awesome OAD!!.. <3