lisajames925 Posts: 105 Member
    Thanks Roxie much appreciated
  • lisajames925
    Would anyone recommend smoothies homemade for breakfast
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

If you like them, they satisfy your hunger, and they fit in your goals for the day, why not?

I don't like having just a smoothie for breakfast because I find I get hungry within an hour or two, but that doesn't mean it won't work for you.
  • lisajames925
    Feel like I m always having the same breakfast
  • vinceinalabama
    vinceinalabama Posts: 20 Member
    I think,/feel that weight loss is much more than a number on a scale! Please, measure the following areas of your body as well as weighing yourself in your scale!? Place your tape measure around your chest crossing at the nipples. Measure around your waist crossing right over your belly button. Also measure around your upper arms and your thighs. Keep a record of these measurements, along with the number on the scale!? The human body will burn fat from all over the body. As I'm sure most of NOT all of you probably all ready know, there is no such thing as "spot training! " another words, you can NOT perform 1000S of sit ups hoping to whittle the excess body fat from your belly!
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member

I used to have a smoothie for breakfast every day. I would make them with protein powder fruit and greens. I liked them because I didn't have time to actually eat in the morning.
  • lisajames925
    Where best to get protein powder and which one
  • lisajames925
    Now weight gone up today as weigh in , don’t know what’s going on
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2018
    Now weight gone up today as weigh in , don’t know what’s going on

You're reacting to fluctuations on the scale.

Think about it like this: If you eat 3500 calories over maintenance you will gain a pound. That means that you have to consistently eat an average of 500 more a day over maintenance and you have not done that.

Did you decide to tighten logging and eat back some exercise calories? Eating a little more will mean you have more food/waste in your system, replenishing glycogen stores, muscle repair from exercise, add in any changes in dietary such as eating a little more carbs and adjustments in sodium and hydration levels. Where are you in your monthly cycle? All of this has a factor in 'weight', its not fat gain.

You have a couple of choices: Be patient and trust the process for another 3 weeks or you can step away from the deficit for a short period of time and go to maintenance and do the diet break/refeed. The latter choice means you are going to have you change your mindset about fluctuations and understanding exactly what going to maintenance means. Its not gaining fat, it means you will gain some water weight which stabilizes, but we will always have fluctuations going on, so keep trying to understand that and how that impacts your weight.

eta: Maybe look into a weight trending app. Happy Scale, Libra, Weightgrapher.com, this can help weed out fluctuations, you can see 4 week trends in your scale weight.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    You have lots of good advice here but I wanted to comment on what you found when you changed MFP settings from 2lb/week to .5lb/week. @ceiswyn was correct and you were not at a 1000 calorie deficit as you supposed which explains why you weren't losing as fast as you thought you should. The same thing happened to me. I agree that the last 10 to 20 pounds should be lost slower as it allows you to adjust to maintenance eating and even though we are all anxious to get to goal the slower loss is useful.

The diet break can really help but don't see it as an excuse to overeat. You would eat at maintenance calories for a couple of weeks. I did this when my weight loss stalled and it helped me. I have no idea why because it isn't really logical but what matters is that it does work. A short break is useful for a multitude of reasons. One is that you just plain need a break from being hungry. It also helps you get a feel for what maintenance will be like. I was terrified I would gain the weight back but I learned I could manage the maintenance calories just fine. When I came off my break my weight began to go down again even tho I had a temporary gain of I think around 2 lbs. I did manage to reach my goal weight after that.

Personally I would take the diet break for 2 weeks, up your calories to 1350 when you come off the break and only eat back about half the exercise calories and see what happens. You can adjust up or down after that based on your results.

Good luck.
  • lisajames925
    Thank you. Not changed yet still on 2lb a week one
  • lisajames925
    Did you not stick to any particular amount of calories when you were on a break ?
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    Did you not stick to any particular amount of calories when you were on a break ?

you would eat at maintance. so set mfp up for maintaining your current weight and eat that for a couple of weeks.

Diet breaks typically do help me if I'm stuck the key, for me, is to not use it as an excuse to overeat or eat solely junk foods.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member

Did you read the thread that @RoxieDawn linked you to?: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1

It explains all that in detail. And a lot more.
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    Have you taken measurements with a tape measure? I’m finding my weight loss is hiding from water retention quite often. I’m 5’3, went from size 18-10, currently hovering between 146-149lbs. I was getting frusterated so I took measurements on apr 22. I took them again yesterday and I’ve lost .5 inch from each bicep, .5 inch from each upper thigh, .25 inch off each calf, and .75 off my waist at the bellybutton. On the scale though, it looks like I haven’t lost anything because I still am in that 146-149 range. I retain a boat load of water when my hormones fluctuate.
  • lisajames925
    Had bar of chocolate and gone over calories for today so feel guilty but not had chocolate since December
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Had bar of chocolate and gone over calories for today so feel guilty but not had chocolate since December

By 92 calories. Feeling guilty after raising your intake is hardly any reason to feel guilty. You will need to work on getting over food anxiety and issues of guilt if you are going to be successful with reaching your goal and then maintaining it after you reach goal.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,052 Member
    edited May 2018
    Oh on my diary I can see grams on there that I weighed. I ll try eating my exercise cals, I use the map my run and map my walk app so hoping it’s accurate

Alas, the Map My * calorie burns are very inflated, which is strange, as Under Armour is their parent company as well as MFP's.

For example, Map My Hike gave me 294 calories for something MFP's "Walking, 3.0 mph, mod. pace, walking dog" gave me 117 calories. This was on flat terrain.

I usually eat about 100% of the calories I get from the MFP database but a lot of people recommend eating 50%. So whatever you do, don't use Map My. Just put your Map My time into MFP.
  • lisajames925
    Ok still want to lose a stone
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    edited May 2018
    deleted, wrong forum.