cereal recommendations

Options
abcdcm143
abcdcm143 Posts: 933 Member
I am craving cereal. However I know it doesn't keep me full until lunch. If you have found a good one, can you please share your recommendations with me?

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i don't eat cereal for breakfast - mine is reserved for a pre-bed snack - but i'm a huge fan of shredded wheat cereal (right now i have the strawberry stuff)
  • rose2_0
    rose2_0 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I do better with a small serving of cereal as a mix in to greek yogurt. There is a Kashi high fiber cereal that I think is only 60 calories for a serving and it's really a big serving. I add that to yogurt for a crunch. The fiber and protein keeps me fuller for longer.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I mix Fiber One cereal into my Greek yogurt.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Mini shredded wheat. I have the blueberry right now.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If I have cereal, I have yogurt with it. It's usually Life or Honey Nut Cheerios.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Cereal alone probably won't do much for satiety. When I used to eat cereal, I'd mix it with some protein and fat so it was balanced. I'm a fan of Bran Flakes, Puffins Cinnamon Puffs, Corn Pops, and Golden Grahams.

I used to do 180 calories of cereal
    splash of almond milk (10 calories)
    1/2 c low fat cottage cheese (90 calories)
    Fruit (50 calories)
    nuts (50 calories)
  • DragonHasTheSapphire
    DragonHasTheSapphire Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I eat Post shredded wheat and bran for cold cereal, hot cereals I do Post original great grains cereal and Quaker steam rolled oats. Idk if grits count as a hot cereal, but I love them as well.

If you're having trouble staying satisfied, I would also recommend adding fat and protein to the mixture. I use unsweetened almond milk for cold cereal, fruit (usually berries or banana), flaxseed for fat, and raw nuts for fat and protein. Or, instead of using almond milk, I use FF plain yogurt.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,826 Member
    Options
    I mostly use all bran buds or chocolate cheerios in my yogurt or puddings... depending on what I am aiming for.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I like frosted mini wheats and Raisin Bran although I know they still have a lot of sugar.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    abcdcm143 wrote: »
    I am craving cereal. However I know it doesn't keep me full until lunch. If you have found a good one, can you please share your recommendations with me?

Weet-bix/Weetabix: With cold or hot milk, it is perfect and does keep you full.

What kind of milk are you using with your cereal?
  • xlgman
    xlgman Posts: 33 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    1 cup of Special K Protein, 1/2 cup of Cheerios Protein and 1/2 cup 2% milk. I also like a 1/2 cup of 2% cottage cheese mixed 50/50 with a greek yogurt. And gotta have my morning banana!

That's 560 calorie all-in but includes 46 grams of protein so I'm satisfied for hours.
  • HilTri
    HilTri Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I second Fiber One with a splash of almond milk. Can't believe that one 1/2 cup keeps me going for so long. It also pretty much gets me to my fiber goal on. It's own!
  • Dvdgzz
    Dvdgzz Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Special K protein for great macros, but if I have room for the good stuff, Frosted Flakes or Frosted Mini Wheats.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    in for mini wheats. I avoid the frosted or filled ones.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    High volume, low kcal density option: puffed rice + fat free Greek yogurt (has a pretty good texture too).
    High GI of puffed rice is of no concern when combined with protein sources (or fat for that matter)
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I often eat about 50g of bran flakes (grocery store brand) with another 50g of banana or blueberries, and 170g of whole milk. It’s only filling for me with the extra fat from the milk. The same meal with skim or 2% leaves me hungry in an hour.
  • MissDetermined335
    MissDetermined335 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Allbran (if you’re in the UK) it’s one of the lowest GI cereals you can have and has bags of fibre so keeps you full longer even than porridge. :)
  • SaunaSuit
    SaunaSuit Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal, everymorning: I like buttermilk in mine just a splash!
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Vector, I usually have an apple or some kind of fruit with it, usually holds me over until lunch.
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    My all-time favorite cereal is Cracklin' Oat Bran (kellogg's). It's been around for 30+ years, has a ton of fiber and some fat to keep you full. It's a bit higher in calories than most cereal, isn't as low in sugar as other "healthy" varieties, but dang it's tasty and filling. Most grocery stores carry it, but it can be a little more difficult to find (4/5 times it's in a single row on the top shelf haha).

Others have already said it, but: if protein keeps you full, try cereal with yogurt or kefir instead of milk.