Goal to lose 20 pounds

Options
Hey everyone I’m just starting my weight loss journey :) My weight has actually gone up and down for the past few years as 3 years ago I was 5’4 and weighed 150 pounds and then lost the weight and weighed about 110-115 for a year and half at the height of 5’6. About a year ago I worked in a fast food restaurant and ate a lot of unhealthy food at food until it was too late and I had gained over 20 pounds in 2 months. I now weigh 140 and want to get down to 120 and I was wondering if anyone had any tips. I’m currently on the paleo diet so hopefully that helps.

Replies

• emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Wonderful to meet you, and great to hear from someone else who has a smaller goal like me =)

Advice depends on how fast you want to lose the weight. It took me about 6 months to lose 15-20 lbs as I gave myself a long time period and started slowly. All I did at that time was use a stationary bike for an hour a day (find something that distracts you from the motion and you will find a happy rhythm), and counted my calories. I have been able to maintain since then, and I did not follow any specific diets. Just had less for dessert and watched portion sizes.

My advice is to not start off doing too much, as your willpower will drain fast and then you will start "cheating". Watch how much you eat more than what you eat at the start, so you don't feel miserable from losing your favorite foods and lose motivation.

Also, don't do too much exercise all at once, and find something YOU enjoy. If you hate doing it, you will find reasons to stop or not give it your all. My husband cycles on a stationary bike for 2-3 hours a day. I hated that, found I prefer home video workouts recently and will actually look forward to doing them each day!

Let me know if you would like any more "gentle start" advice from someone of a similar size, trying not to overload =)
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    No tips, just settle in and make the process the goal. Get your food planned and be thoughtful and log faithfully, be ready to adjust along the way, and the rest will follow.