Vegan protein at breakfast?

Options
I'm struggling to get protein in at breakfast that doesn't include processed vegan breakfast "meats." Besides protein shakes - what are some good ways to get protein into a vegan breakfast?

Replies

• rj0150684
    rj0150684 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Beans and other legumes would seem to be the go-to.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Second the tofu scramble. I like this one:

https://www.hotforfoodblog.com/recipes/2014/7/11/the-perfect-tofu-scramble

I like it with spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms, and sometimes topped with sriracha.

You can also blend silken tofu into a smoothie, or make oatmeal with soy milk.

Beans on toast is delicious and can be super easy: either vegetarian baked beans from a can or you can also spread canned refried beans on toast and top it with salsa.

Peanut butter by itself isn't super high protein but a large slice of whole wheat bread topped with two tablespoons peanut butter will get you around 13 grams of protein for around 300 calories.

Sometimes for breakfast I top half a baked potato with canned black beans and salsa.

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Tofu scramble, beans on toast, nut butter on everything (toast, oatmeal, smoothies, etc.). Soy milk and yogurt will usually have more protein than other non-dairy products.

You can make your own tempeh bacon--there are lots of recipes, but it generally involves slicing the tempeh very thin, marinating it, and then baking or frying it.

You can also just eat "dinner" foods for breakfast too--no need to only eat "breakfast" foods in the morning.
  • EatLikeAHuman
    EatLikeAHuman Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a light breakfast, and I'm a lazy person, so to get protein in there I eat hemp seeds. This morning my breakfast was tea and 50gs of hemp seeds with some yogurt (I'm not vegan but obviously you don't have to eat non-vegan yogurt), adding up to 23gs of protein. Great for fiber too.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Tofu scrambles are pretty easy and you can clean out the fridge with veggies doing them. Otherwise, I just do protein powder in a smoothie. I’ve played around with a vegan pancake recipe and added my protein powder to that, too, because I have a wicked sweet tooth in the mornings.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Good suggestions above. You can also try protein muffins/scones (replace some of the flour with protein powder, "Protein Ninja" by Terry Hope Romero has several good recipes like this) or enjoy any higher protein food you have at other meals.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options
    Tempeh in various forms: Hash, sandwich, whatever. Smoked tofu is good, too.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I came across this last night and thought of this thread:

Savory Breakfast Quinoa

It's not huge with protein, but it's a complete protein, which is nice for vegan eating. If you prefer sweet to savory, I found this:

Cinnamon Toast Quinoa

Just one more option to change it up! I <3 plants.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    How about a traditional Japanese breakfast based on Miso soup?
  • Bohemianfit89
    Bohemianfit89 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I put peanut butter and flaxseed in my oatmeal.
  • Elfinnyx
    Elfinnyx Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I put flax seeds and 'Greek style' soya yogurt on my granola, comes out around 12-15g protein.