Weight loss help

Options

Replies

• Active37
    Active37 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thank you I will get a scale and try that. I seemed to do good with mine so I figured I was being pretty accurate with hers
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    How old is your daughter? Is she still growing?
  • Active37
    Options
    My daughter is almost 15 and her height has remained the same for over a year now and she has had her periods for over a year now as well. The doctors think she is at her adult height. I am sure the calculations have to be wrong somewhere. I just can’t figure out where as she really eats the same things almost every day and exercises regularly. For example today she ran and hour on the treadmill and has a 2 hour practice this evening. She had the same thing yesterday.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    My daughter is almost 15 and her height has remained the same for over a year now and she has had her periods for over a year now as well. The doctors think she is at her adult height. I am sure the calculations have to be wrong somewhere. I just can’t figure out where as she really eats the same things almost every day and exercises regularly. For example today she ran and hour on the treadmill and has a 2 hour practice this evening. She had the same thing yesterday.

Being 15 and weight gain at her age is completely normal, she is still developing in all areas. Doctors *thinking she is at her adult height would be something I hold as a big 'IF'.

What are her stats... current weight and height?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Are you *sure* that she is not eating things that you don't know about?

You've put her on a fairly restrictive diet for an active, growing teen. I know I certainly snuck food at that age, and I wouldn't be surprised if she were doing the same.

I thought about this a few minutes ago. Good call.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    rvtrotta wrote: »
    I just want to throw out there that you should not track the caloric expenditure from exercise. The way that calorie goals are set up, they take exercise into account. Just a thought.

That is true of TDEE. Myfitnesspal uses NEAT, in which activity level and exercise above the selected activity level are logged.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    We do measure things out like almond milk, vegan butter, cereal, veggies etc with measuring cups and spoons. I do not have a scale so maybe that’s the issue. What sort of things do you use a scale for? She does not eat meat.

Liquids are great in measuring cups, but other things are really poor (cereal for example). Fruit is another example where you want to use a scale.....what is a medium banana? Rice, pasta & flour can become packed down.
    What is the best kind of scale to get?

I got my digital food scale a Wal-Mart. Any scale with a tare function will be helpful.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Are you *sure* that she is not eating things that you don't know about?

You've put her on a fairly restrictive diet for an active, growing teen. I know I certainly snuck food at that age, and I wouldn't be surprised if she were doing the same.

This is the most likely answer.

At the end of the day, if she is truly taking in less calories than she burns she will lose weight. Sounds like she's eating at maintenance.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    How old is your daughter? What is her height and weight?
    As others have said - she's probably eating more than she thinks and not burning as much as she thinks. But please be kind! She's a growing girl, and this is how bad relationships with food is formed!
  • Active37
    Options
    She isn’t really on a diet she just doesn’t drink sodas, doesn’t eat a lot of snacks, and loves animals so she is vegetarian. If you ask her what her favorite food is she will say a salad lol!!! She is very into her sport and always wanted to be in her best shape. She has been doing this since she was 7 and it’s a huge deal for her. They have been very big on letting these kids know they need to be physically fit and eat healthy. She had been very muscular and had abs etc prior to injury cause she was always working and loved what she did. Very active hyper kid. She also has a bladder condition where there are certain types of foods that cause her to burn. Either way she’s been super stressed since injury and she doesn’t like the weight gain. She is short at only 5”1 and is just hoping to be back to pre injury weight.
  • Active37
    Options
    I had really hoped she would leave the sport after what happened with her back but she did everything she could to heal. She said it’s who she is and she wasn’t ready to give it up. I have been one stressed momma!
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Active37, when did you stop growing? Do you remember? I know I didn't stop growing until my twenties! I'm 5'4" now (52) and was 5'2" at 17.