Macros

Options
Just starting playing with macros and I'm finding it very difficult to meet them! Fats are always too high, proteins always too low. It's kind of showing me though how to eat in order to match the "triple constraint" - Carbs, proteins and fats. You have to watch the other two while you're targeting one of them. Food choices are changing a lot because of focusing on macros. I hope it get easier though because I think this is very beneficial. Anyone else have advice about meeting your macros?

Replies

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    Outside the confines of eating sufficient/minimum amounts of macros, the overall split is something very personal. What is motivating you to adjust your macros? Did you set your macro goals requisite to an outside source or are you working from the MFP defaults?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I noticed my protein was often low and I was more hungry on days that was the case, so I just started with protein. I basically planned my portions around protein, and prelogging really helped.

Once I got used to eating more protein, I noticed my fiber had decreased, so I worked on that next.

Try using them more as a guide as well, something to work up to!
  • rlmoffattx5
    rlmoffattx5 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    One of the best ways I found to meet protein and fiber goals is using hemp protein powder. I was having the same struggle but now it’s working! I just make a small glass if it and chug as it’s not too tasty.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Due to dietary issues causing malabsorption and IBS symptoms, I had to change my diet to a high fiber, higher fat diet. Prior I was always concerned about getting a high protein ratio as is suggested for people trying to maintain muscle on a cut. I'm currently on a weight cut, lifting 6 days per week, my protein is ranging from 25% to 30%, I was concerned about losing muscle on a diet like this, and while I am losing some no more than I normally would on weight cut. And in fact this has been a very effective weight cut. My BF% is dropping effectively and things are looking great. It just makes me think macros are not quite as critical as we make them out to be.
  • sugarnspice0613
    sugarnspice0613 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    One of the best ways I found to meet protein and fiber goals is using hemp protein powder. I was having the same struggle but now it’s working! I just make a small glass if it and chug as it’s not too tasty.

I’ve been encapsulating a green powder I bought for smoothies because it’s incredibly gross, but I still want the nutrients. It takes quite a few capsules but it’s worth it for me.