Never lifted weights. Zero Arm Strength. How to begin?

Options
NewChapterInMyLife
NewChapterInMyLife Posts: 757 Member
edited May 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
I have never had arm strength. It's the weak part of my body. I've never even been able to do a " girl pushup" . I have 2 lb.weights and 5 at home. I need to put them to use. Should I start with 30 mins a day with my 2 pounders? 15 with my 5 pounders? Or try to lift " heavy". I'm just really confused but want to get arm strength and toned. How do I begin?

Replies

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I'm similar -- I love my cardio, but was encouraged to do some strength training, and although I had decent functional strength (can do gardening/lift heavy machinery without help), I wasn't happy with my upper arm strength.

I invested in some pieces -- a standard bar, and weight plates -- and read New Rules of Lifting for Women. The little two or 5 pounders are *something* but they're really not going to help you make long-term gains. I used to think they would, but I'm now firmly in the camp of actually lifting heavy stuff and progressively overloading.
  • NewChapterInMyLife
    NewChapterInMyLife Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Ok next question if anyone sees this: How to start heavy lifting? When I'm such a weakling...lol
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Ok next question if anyone sees this: How to start heavy lifting? When I'm such a weakling...lol
    Someone will provide a link, but pick a program. I recommend Starting Strength. Load progressively. Do all your reps. Work compound movements like squat, overhead press, and deadlift first, to isolation movements (bicep curls), and never do cardio.

Or hire a strength coach and they'll get you sorted out quickly.
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I worked with a trainer and used machines until I progressed to free weights.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    You start where you are and progress from there. "Heavy” lifting means what’s heavy for YOU. That number is different for everyone. If 5 lbs is heavy for you, that’s ok. Start there and work up from there.

Truth.

When I started, I was only able to handle 5-pound weights for step-ups. I was *thrilled* yesterday when I was able to finally move to 10 pounds. It's not a lot, but for me, it was a big improvement.
  • EatLikeAHuman
    EatLikeAHuman Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I lifted for a while before I injured myself and stopped for years (due to a form mistake - I was squatting my body weight when I injured myself but I bet I can't even do the bar now! ) . I started with the little 5 and 10 lbs weights. Doing that gave me the strength to move onto heavier weights. It's very okay to start small if you have very little strength. You'll be surprised at how quickly those 5 anf 10 lbs weights feel way too light. You'll want to increase your weight to get that OOMPH feeling!

I'm getting back into it myself and I'm as weak as I started several years ago. I'm broke and can't afford a gym so all I'm using is body weight and small 10 and 15bs kettlebells and I'm still seeing progress. Im almost able to do a full, proper pushup again!

You'll run into a lot of "if you're not lifting literal cars over your head on day 2 you'll never make progress". It's true you should be challenging yourself and lifting what feels heavy to you. Sometimes that 5 lb weight feels heavy to you. Or when you start squatting you may only be able to do the bar. That's okay! It's heavy for you!

Good luck on your journey and keep it up because we need larger weight rooms in women's gyms. :smiley:
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Can you pick up a can of soup or a jug of milk?

Those are 5 and 15 lbs respectively(approx).

If you can't. Then it's ok to start with the sissy weights. The reality is most people don't need the 2/5 lb weights and can and should progress to 15 or 25 or 35 lb bells very quickly.