Has anyone tried Diet Bet? How was it for you?

Options
kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
I’ve been following a YouTuber called Jordan Shrinks, and she’s mentioned Diet Bet a ton. I ended up rather curious and decided to check it out.

Unfortunately the one she’s running is 4% of your current weight in 4 weeks, which for me at 5’2” and 201lbs is 8.04lbs. That’s a rate of loss a tiny bit over 2lb/week, which means I would have to net below 1030cal/day. Nope, nope nope. Nope.

But there are others that are 10% in 6months. Which is 20.1lbs for me, and actually a rate of loss a little below 1lb/week. It seems more doable but also a longer time, so I’m hesitant to join. But it also seems like a good motivation tool.

Anyway I’d love to hear about anyone’s experiences with it! Thank you!

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,071 Member
    Options
    I used it, being further into my weight loss I should have gone for a transformer (10% over 6 months) rather than a Kickstarter (4% in 4 weeks) but I wasn't keen to commit long term to something so I tried it out, it was quite motivating in terms of my logging and exercising but I didn't hit my goal, the timing of the end of the DietBet was same as my PMT so I put on a bunch of water weight which made it a waste of money. So I would definitely say with your stats go for the transformer rather than the kickstarter or leave it altogether.

They do also run 2 apps called StepBet & RunBet which might be a better choice for you if you're looking to increase your activity (which in turn might help motivate your weightloss) which is tailored to your own step history .
  • amelisegb
    amelisegb Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've participated in two of the kickstarter challenges (4% in 4 weeks).

My first one I made my goal, but alot of that was me 'working the system' ie drinking a lot of water before initial weigh ins, not eating the day of the final, etc which was NOT HEALTHY for me. I made like $15 which was fun.

Then, unsurprisingly, I gained all the weight back, and then some. So I signed up for another round, and I was totally unmotivated because I knew I could game the system, but I ended up not losing ANY weight so I lost the bet.

Net I was out $15 total, so not too devastating. The community can be supportive, especially the 'leader' of the group (your youtuber). I was thinking about trying again recently since I have actually been successful losing weight and keeping it off for once with the help of MFP :)
  • mrsloganlife
    mrsloganlife Posts: 158 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I have done a few because my company has sponsored them. I am also doing a transformer. I have won 2 but am on track to lose my kickstarter sadly. It is fun and great motivation, however the kickstarters were always hard because the rate of loss would be a bit over 2 lbs/week. I would end up crashing really hard the few days before the end of a kickstarter, then the weight would come back (which was great for the start of my next kickstarter but really derailed me on my transformer).

I would suggest the transformer as it is 10% of weight over 6 months which is more manageable. Also it is a good motivation if you don't want to lose your money you are investing, and there are some good groups out there. FatGirlFedUp does a kickstarter constantly and her 'tribe' is great for encouragement (I wish she would do a transformer though).

Also keep in mind that Dietbet will disqualify you if you lose too much weight--but it is an insane amount, I think like over 12% total loss for a kickstarter (need to reread the rules).
  • kiela64
    Options
    Thanks for weighing in (lol) guys! :D

I'll definitely read the rules closely about the "losing too much" clause - if 12% disqualifies you for the transformer one too than I'm not sure it's worth doing because that would suck lol.

Yeah I wouldn't want to "game the system" or get sucked into unhealthy behaviours because money is on the line. That hadn't even occurred to me. But it could generate more anxiety about keeping up with the rate of loss.

Yeah I wish the youtuber was doing a transformer rather than a kickstarter. I would definitely want to join along with someone engaging. The fact that it's over 2lb/week is really.....like even if it was exactly 2lb/week I'd still have to back out because of my height.

Unfortunately I can't do StepBet or RunBet due to some ongoing leg issues. My steps are low, and I can't push them without injury atm. Which keeps running off the table completely lol.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,071 Member
    Options
    kiela64 wrote: »
    Thanks for weighing in (lol) guys! :D

I'll definitely read the rules closely about the "losing too much" clause - if 12% disqualifies you for the transformer one too than I'm not sure it's worth doing because that would suck lol.

Yeah I wouldn't want to "game the system" or get sucked into unhealthy behaviours because money is on the line. That hadn't even occurred to me. But it could generate more anxiety about keeping up with the rate of loss.

Yeah I wish the youtuber was doing a transformer rather than a kickstarter. I would definitely want to join along with someone engaging. The fact that it's over 2lb/week is really.....like even if it was exactly 2lb/week I'd still have to back out because of my height.

Unfortunately I can't do StepBet or RunBet due to some ongoing leg issues. My steps are low, and I can't push them without injury atm. Which keeps running off the table completely lol.

Bolded is definitely for kickstarter only to prevent VLCDs and ED behaviour.
  • Kellryn
    Kellryn Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Have you looked up Healthywager? You can choose how much you want to lose and how long it will take you. They also have smaller wagers with 6% weightloss in 3 months or team wagers(never done a team challenge. They also have walking challenges.
  • kiela64
    Options
    Kellryn wrote: »
    Have you looked up Healthywager? You can choose how much you want to lose and how long it will take you. They also have smaller wagers with 6% weightloss in 3 months or team wagers(never done a team challenge. They also have walking challenges.

Ooo, I’ll look into that thank you! Choosing the rate of loss would definitely work better for me.
  • Unwrittensofar
    Unwrittensofar Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have done a lot of diet bets and I absolutely Love them to keep me accountable to me!! I do not want to lose my money just the weight! Several years ago I lost sixty pounds that I had put on after a neck injury.

Last year I fractured my spine and put on sixty pound Again!! I was scheduled for surgery May 30th so I entered a diet bet that would end May 23rd to try and be as healthy as I could be for the back surgery. Yesterday they moved my surgery up to May 16th so I am having surgery before the final weigh in. Not sure I will win this one??? But, I will definitely be doing more once I am mobile again.