2lbs over night...seriously

Options
alkight84
alkight84 Posts: 66 Member
edited May 2018 in Motivation and Support
I’m a serial weigher. I weigh daily. Can’t help it always have LOL. I’m pretty angry this morning because I gained 2lbs over night and did cardio yesterday and did good on my deficit. Any tips or insight? I know a lot of you will say don’t weigh daily and that just doesn’t work for me. Keeps me motivated. Just wanted some insight.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    weight loss isn't linear... its probably water weight
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Daily weigher here too,

Are you weighing yourself the same way as in nude, or same clothes. During the winter I discovered flannel pajama bottoms + sweatshirt makes a big difference on the scale combined with normal fluctuations.

Also are you weighing yourself just once? On the first reading, the scale I use is always off by 2lbs usually higher sometimes it is lower. So I let it turn off then turn it back on again and weigh myself ~3-4 times and take the most popular number that comes up.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Beyond scale weighing methods, bodies are weird salt, intensity of exercise something else can cause fluctuations. Actually gaining weight is marked by a TREND upward and not one blip of a day, so try not to be to mad at yourself.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Don't obsess over the days but look to the overall trend over weeks.
  • alkight84
    Options
    kballsocc wrote: »
    Daily weigher here too,

Are you weighing yourself the same way as in nude, or same clothes. During the winter I discovered flannel pajama bottoms + sweatshirt makes a big difference on the scale combined with normal fluctuations.

Also are you weighing yourself just once? On the first reading, the scale I use is always off by 2lbs usually higher sometimes it is lower. So I let it turn off then turn it back on again and weigh myself ~3-4 times and take the most popular number that comes up.

Same exact way. In the suit god gave me and second try usually is better.
  • alkight84
    Options
    Thanks folks. I typically don’t stress but I was .2 lbs off from my first goal of 20lbs. Grrr lol. I know it wasn’t me just my stupid body trying to make me angry. Gonna keep on keeping on and make it go back down.
  • Ziggy2875
    Ziggy2875 Posts: 28 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I weigh everyday also, but if you want to weigh everyday then you need to mentally prepare yourself for weight fluctuations. This morning I was down 1.6 pounds and yesterday I was up .4 pounds. I ate the same calories and I did no exercise. Because of water the body’s weight can and does change everyday, going up and down. So get used to weighing a pound or more here and there. Get a trending app to show the overall trend. There’s nothing wrong with weighing everyday unless you can’t handle the natural ups and downs.
  • alkight84
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Zmausnot wrote: »
    I weigh everyday also, but if you want to weigh everyday then you need to mentally prepare yourself for weight fluctuations. Because of water the body’s weight can and does change everyday, going up and down. So get used to weighing a pound or more here and there. Get a trending app to show the overall trend. There’s nothing wrong with weighing everyday unless you can’t handle the natural ups and downs.

Thanks :). I usually can but being so close to my first goal or really aggravated me. I need more water too so that’s my goal today!
  • ashstyley
    ashstyley Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I came to this thread for the exact same reason! I was up 2 lbs which I can’t wrap my head around. I was under my calorie goal, there’s no reason to have gone up! Hopefully it is just a blip, water maybe.. hang in there! It’s a marathon not a sprint
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    It isn't just you :) I'm up 1.4 from yesterday, but I know I didn't eat an extra 4,900 calories yesterday, so it'll come right back down in a day or two.
  • alkight84
    Options
    Birder165 wrote: »
    alkight84 wrote: »
    Thanks folks. I typically don’t stress but I was .2 lbs off from my first goal of 20lbs. Grrr lol. I know it wasn’t me just my stupid body trying to make me angry. Gonna keep on keeping on and make it go back down.

I'm assuming you're just joking and trying to make light of things but if you're not ... "your stupid body" is not "trying to make you angry". That's your brain and your thoughts. Try to be kinder to yourself and know that this is a process of highs & lows, no matter how "good" you're being. Food weight, waste, water retention all can contribute to a higher weight and while frustrating when we want the scale to go down each and every time we weigh, is all normal.
    The positive is what you said, "Gonna keep on keeping on"! Good Luck and never give up!

I’m for sure being silly however I am working on being more forgiving and kinder to myself. So thank you for pointing that out. :) I told my husband last night that I need to be a more positive image for my girls and that doesn’t mean skinny just healthy so I need to keep that in mind! Thanks again!!!
  • alkight84
    Options
    serindipte wrote: »
    It isn't just you :) I'm up 1.4 from yesterday, but I know I didn't eat an extra 4,900 calories yesterday, so it'll come right back down in a day or two.
    WE CAN DO IT!!!!
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates for many reasons, and it is entirely normal.
    I am a daily weigher too (also for the motivation), and see this happen to me a lot.
    Just keep on with your program, and success will continue.
  • AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I downloaded the Libra App - you enter your daily weights along with your long term goal and it tracks them as a trend. I normally go up 2 lbs over the weekend and down 2 lbs on Tuesday. With the app - it shows me that despite the ups and downs I'm still on a downward trend and actually set to reach my goal weight before my goal date. Libra is available for android, or try Happy Scale for iPhone.
  • alkight84
    Options
    Water weight happens for lots of reasons. Learning these reasons can help stop the freak-outs.

Water can be retained in the muscles for repair, if you've done new-to-you exercise.

In females, hormones cause lots of water weight issues. Ovulation and TOM can both cause water retention.

Eating more carbs or sodium than your body is used to will cause water weight.

Travel/flying can cause water weight. I gain like 8 pounds in one flight.

Excessive temperatures can cause water weight.

Sunburns and other inflammatory-type injuries can cause water weight.

Infections and other illnesses may cause water weight.

I didn’t think about that!! I did a long workout with upper body on Sunday! I bet that’s it! Thanks so much :) I appreciate you!
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Yesterday my weight changed 10 pounds during the course of a day just from dehydration. I'm a serial weigher too, I keep a spreadsheet and run a moving average to account for fluctuations--it's just like the Dow Jones.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    alkight84 wrote: »
    I’m a serial weigher. I weigh daily. Can’t help it always have LOL. I’m pretty angry this morning because I gained 2lbs over night and did cardio yesterday and did good on my deficit. Any tips or insight? I know a lot of you will say don’t weigh daily and that just doesn’t work for me. Keeps me motivated. Just wanted some insight.

I'd think if you were a daily weigher forever, that you would understand natural body weight fluctuations.

Body weight isn't static..it fluctuates naturally for a wide variety of reasons, mostly due to water and waste. Weight loss isn't a straight line down and you have to look at the overall trend. Losing weight looks like this...

weighttrendgraph1.gif