Mayonnaise

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Reduced fat cream cheese is good for bagels!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    if i want mayo i have mayo.

in some things, greek yogurt is a suitable replacement.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    edited May 2018
    You'd have to pry my full fat mayo from my cold dead hands. LOL

Have you thought about making your own? Following the less is more mentality? Maybe just use 1tsp of mayo instead of a whole tbsp?

If you are truly looking for alternatives, I really like the dressings by Primal Kitchens, you can use mustard, salsa, or hot sauce for adding flavor but not a lot of calories.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    You could try oil and vinegar/ light vinaigrette dressing.

• RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    If you are mixing it with tuna, then try subbing in hummus.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,267 Member
    Mayo made with olive oil isn't so bad but I ALWAYS have a jar of Duke's mayo in my fridge. I simply couldn't live life withot i.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    I switched to mustard, too. The only thing I still use mayo for is making tuna salad and I use Duke's Olive Oil Lite Mayo. It's good.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    edited May 2018
    I just learned to control my mayo usage. like instead of slathering it on both pieces of bread, I just put a thin layer on only one piece of bread and then add a lot of spicy brown mustard. Also, I find it helps to use good tasting bread (I love sourdough) because the flavor from the bread makes mayo less necessary. I honestly hate the cheap loaves of bread (like Sara Lee and all those) I find the bread to be too squishy and sweet! I don’t want my sandwich bread to be sweet, yuck.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    I sometimes lighten my may by combining with natural or Greek yoghurt - I prefer the taste.
  • Jeeplet18
    Jeeplet18 Posts: 57 Member
    I really love Dijon mustard.
    Also the Laughing Cow spreadable cheeses.

I agree with the laughing cow cheese idea, they are so yummy and creamy.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    ghudson92 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any suggestions for mayonnaise alternatives? I knew it was high in calories but not *that* high! Yes, I do know I could plan ahead to have it etc etc all that good stuff, but some alternative ideas would be most welcome! Also, I am not a fan of the Hellmanns lighter mayo.

Walden Farms has a 0 cal mayo replacement.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Did anyone mention tzatziki? I hate mayo, but like tzatziki on a sandwich. A little goes along way.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Depends on what you typically use it for. I use light mayonnaise and it's good enough, honestly, but I typically only use mayo in chicken/egg salad or with French fries anyway.

For coleslaw, I do Greek yogurt.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Did anyone mention tzatziki? I hate mayo, but like tzatziki on a sandwich. A little goes along way.

I LOVE zatziki! Would be perfect with tuna :)
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    edited May 2018

I LOVE zatziki! Would be perfect with tuna :)

I use it in my tuna salad; I use half a serving of Wegmans brand (if you have a Wegmans near by) per 1 full can of tuna. That adds something like 30 calories. I do add extra dill and pickles...but that's maybe 10 calories.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Does anyone have any suggestions for mayonnaise alternatives? I knew it was high in calories but not *that* high! Yes, I do know I could plan ahead to have it etc etc all that good stuff, but some alternative ideas would be most welcome! Also, I am not a fan of the Hellmanns lighter mayo.

There are a few versions/brands of lighter mayo that taste differently, so you can try those.
    Or adding some mustard to the light mayo to hide the taste difference (if mustard will go with whatever you are using the mayo on).
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    People either love it or hate it - Miracle Whip, 50 cal/tbl.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    crazyravr wrote: »
    if i want mayo i have mayo.

in some things, greek yogurt is a suitable replacement.

Its not. Greek yogurt is sour, so its a good sour cream replacement.

in the chicken salad i make, greek yogurt is a great substitute for mayo.

i did say SOME things. not EVERYthing.

i have zero desire to put it on a sandwich. lolol
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    People either love it or hate it - Miracle Whip, 50 cal/tbl.

ewwwwwww lololol
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    I really love Dijon mustard.
    Also the Laughing Cow spreadable cheeses.

Oh, yeah. I do those, too. They're good, especially the pepper jack. 35 calories of awesomeness.

ive been using these on egg white breakfast sandwiches