Does protein make you fat?

Options
Hey everyone! :)

I'm in a journey to lose weight... maybe about 16 lbs.! :(
I'm 25 years old and I currently weigh 150 lbs.... height is about 164cm so I’m overweight and truth hurts!

At the moment, I am limiting my calories intake to 1200kcal and doing 30 mins of cardio twice / 3 times a week - I hate exercising so I do stuff that I enjoy like skipping, playing futsal or badminton every week.
I also take meal replacement in the afternoon! So that is about 200 kcal. It has about 15gm of protein in it. So some of my friends are saying that protein can make you fat if you are not exercising. So I’m quite worried about this. I don’t really exercise every day you see… So does that mean I can’t take my shake?

My reasoning: A woman needs about 46gm of protein in her daily diet. I don’t really enjoy food with high protein and I don’t really eat them. So I feel my shake is helping me to get enough protein. So I feel it’s ok. But I may be wrong!
So is it really a bad idea to take protein?

Replies

• hannah_ryann
    hannah_ryann Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I aim for about 100-140 grams of protein a day, so obviously I don't have a problem with protein.

Protein in and of it self will not make you fat. Excess calories from eating too much of any macronutrient (protein, fat, carb) above the amount of calories you burn in a day will make you gain weight.

Protein is essential for keeping the muscle you already have when you're losing weight.

Drink those protein shakes, girl.
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Protein doesn't make your fat any more than carbs or dietary fat makes you fat. Excess calories in any of those three macros will cause you to gain weight.

I eat a bare minimum of 100g of protein a day...usually closer to 120-130g......not gaining body fat.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    It's been said, but protein will not make you fat. In fact, I would up your protein to minimize muscle loss while eating at such an extreme deficit.
  • DoctorCheeba
    Options
    Protein shakes are a great alternative, stick with it!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    yes protein is what makes us fat. carbs make you skinny. and fats are neutral
  • hannah_ryann
    hannah_ryann Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I heart you, Taso.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    over eating makes you fat....

protein is arguably more important in weight loss than it is in muscle gain.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Protein helps you burn fat.

I'm wondering where you're getting this from.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! :)

I'm in a journey to lose weight... maybe about 16 lbs.! :(
    I'm 25 years old and I currently weigh 150 lbs.... height is about 164cm so I’m overweight and truth hurts!

At the moment, I am limiting my calories intake to 1200kcal and doing 30 mins of cardio twice / 3 times a week - I hate exercising so I do stuff that I enjoy like skipping, playing futsal or badminton every week.
    I also take meal replacement in the afternoon! So that is about 200 kcal. It has about 15gm of protein in it. So some of my friends are saying that protein can make you fat if you are not exercising. So I’m quite worried about this. I don’t really exercise every day you see… So does that mean I can’t take my shake?

My reasoning: A woman needs about 46gm of protein in her daily diet. I don’t really enjoy food with high protein and I don’t really eat them. So I feel my shake is helping me to get enough protein. So I feel it’s ok. But I may be wrong!

A woman would need 46g of protein if she weighed 56 pounds, otherwise, that is an extremely deficient protein intake...
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are a great alternative, stick with it! Protein helps you burn fat, even if your just doing cardio and not doing any muscle training. Just keep your calories down elsewhere so the shakes fit into your diet.

What?
  • lovelytanya87
    Options
    thank you very much! :)
  • lovelytanya87
    Options
    i guess i need to get the right info then!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

My reasoning: A woman needs about 46gm of protein in her daily diet.

really? says who?

i ate 158g of protein yesterday... i must be OBESE!
  • lovelytanya87
    Options
    [/quote]

really? says who?

[/quote]

sadly, that was what I've been told! :(
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

by who?
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options

really? says who?

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yup u must be obese today .
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Too many CALORIES = FAT

Too much protein = Kidney problems etc...
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

Who told you that?

I generally eat more than that in a day. I need to start adding a shake in b/c I actually don't feel like I'm getting enough protein in daily.
  • lovelytanya87
    Options

Who told you that?

I generally eat more than that in a day. I need to start adding a shake in b/c I actually don't feel like I'm getting enough protein in daily.

by all the stupid people around me! :( lol.. and i must be the stupidest person among them since i believed everything they say!
  • jdean140
    jdean140 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Great Question!
    Protein will help you feel full/satisfied longer. Protein & the right carbs aftera good workout will help muscles recover and help to avoid soreness,in addition to storing the right energy for the next workout instead of converting to fat.

This link has all the information about how much protein a person needs based on many variables, your fitness objective, gender and activity level ect. While it can get feel a bit complex at first, you can hone in on what closest matches your personal goals.

http://exercise.about.com/cs/nutrition/a/protein_2.htm
    The fact that you are asking the question is the best step in finding out what is best for you!

:-)

J