Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Resistant starch?

Options

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    The experiment I'm aware of regarding re-cooking starches, spaghetti. It was just that, recooking rather than reheating they did. It was after the re-cooking there was a difference.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Haven't read it but this looks like a good summary of carbohydrate storage

https://2012books.lardbucket.org/books/an-introduction-to-nutrition/s08-01-a-closer-look-at-carbohydrates.html
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Certainly worthwhile adding some to your diet. It’s very good for your gut flora!

It is rather difficult to draw objective conclusions as to what is "good" or "bad" for ones gut microbiome in relation to ones own health. Resistant starches may provide sustenance for the types of bacteria that can digest them and thus support their growth but whether favoring those microorganisms over others is "good" and not doing so is "bad" I don't believe has been established.

Furthermore, I doubt that it's universal to all people. Not everybody has the exact same gut flora, and not everybody has unhealthy gut flora.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Certainly worthwhile adding some to your diet. It’s very good for your gut flora!

It is rather difficult to draw objective conclusions as to what is "good" or "bad" for ones gut microbiome in relation to ones own health. Resistant starches may provide sustenance for the types of bacteria that can digest them and thus support their growth but whether favoring those microorganisms over others is "good" and not doing so is "bad" I don't believe has been established.

Who’s suggesting not eating resistance starch is bad?

• Aaron_K123
    Options

Well if something is very good to do then not doing that thing would be bad. If you dont agree with that meaning of bad then more to the point I question whether or not it is "very good" for your microbiome. I dont think anyone actually knows if a particular type of starch will help cultivate a beneficial microbiome, it is more that the starch that our enzymes cannot digest end up being digested by the types of bacteria capable of digesting that. Is that "very good"? Shrug....I'm not sure if put any sort of moral judgement on it.
  • Aaron_K123
    edited May 2018
    Options

Well if something is very good to do then not doing that thing would be bad. If you dont agree with that meaning of bad then more to the point I question whether or not it is "very good" for your microbiome. I dont think anyone actually knows if a particular type of starch will help cultivate a beneficial microbiome, it is more that the starch that our enzymes cannot digest end up being digested by the types of bacteria capable of digesting that. Is that "very good"? Shrug....I'm not sure if put any sort of moral judgement on it.

So by your reckoning anything that is not classed as healthy to eat must be unhealthy!
    Really?

Uh no, when did I say that? I said anything that someone claims is "Very good" to do they imply in saying so that they believe it is not good to not do that. If I say it is very good to obey the law then it isn't a stretch to assume that I would think not following the law would be bad. That is because "very good" is a moral judgement, "healthy" is not a moral judgement. Something that is very good to do we ought to do, something that is healthy to eat there is no "ought" in that statement. You can't act like "Very good" and "healthy" are somehow interchangeable because they aren't.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

So by your reckoning anything that is not classed as healthy to eat must be unhealthy!
    Really?

Uh no, when did I say that? I said anything that someone claims is "Very good" to do they imply in saying so that they believe it is not good to not do that. If I say it is very good to obey the law then it isn't a stretch to assume that I would think not following the law would be bad. That is because "very good" is a moral judgement, "healthy" is not a moral judgement. You can't act like "Very good" and "healthy" are somehow interchangeable because they aren't.

It’s very good to eat apples, does that imply it’s bad if you don’t eat apples?

• Aaron_K123
    edited May 2018
    Options

Really?

Uh no, when did I say that? I said anything that someone claims is "Very good" to do they imply in saying so that they believe it is not good to not do that. If I say it is very good to obey the law then it isn't a stretch to assume that I would think not following the law would be bad. That is because "very good" is a moral judgement, "healthy" is not a moral judgement. You can't act like "Very good" and "healthy" are somehow interchangeable because they aren't.

If you use that language it does, statements like "very good" are prescriptive and normative. They aren't statements about what is (like healthy is) they are statements about what should be. This is good is a normative statement, this is healthy is not. If you say it is healthy to eat apples you are making an objective statement...now someone might argue that you are wrong but they shouldn't assume that you mean not eating apples is unhealthy because it isn't normative. But saying it is very good to eat apples is a normative statement and the opposite does follow.

But hey you said that isn't what you meant so lets move on.
  • tennisdude2004
    edited May 2018
    Options

Really?

If you use that language it does, statements like "very good" are prescriptive and normative. They aren't statements about what is (like healthy is) they are statements about what should be. This is good is a normative statement, this is healthy is not. If you say it is healthy to eat apples you are making an objective statement...now someone might argue that you are wrong but they shouldn't assume that you mean not eating apples is unhealthy because it isn't normative. But saying it is very good to eat apples is a normative statement and the opposite does follow.

But hey you said that isn't what you meant so lets move on

Let’s
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

Really?

But hey you said that isn't what you meant so lets move on.

The rest of us get it.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Gee I was going to start a new item on Resistant Starches but after reading this back and forth maybe not.

What I was more interested in. Was after reading the article in Prevention magazine while waiting in a Dr.'s office. What really caught my attention was the comments stating for example that for Pasta it was the cooling down of the Pasta that really brought out the RS part of it. So it should Not be warmed back up, but instead used in some type of cold salad. Also the other one that I found very interesting was the whole bit about potatoes baking them will not bring out the RS at all, but roasting them in an oven or in a crock pot will. Not sure about the instant pot craze it was not mentioned. But specifically it stated that microwaving the potato and or pasta will not induce the RS. I thought the article was intertesting as it specifically was stating for Pasta, potatoes, rice what ways of cooking, will bring out the RS factor and what ways will not. And also went into which items could be or should be reheated and which ones should not be. Because if they are then the RS factor is lost. I will admit until I read this today, I had not personally heard of Resistant Starches passiong through the body. As a diabetic, I found this interesting enough that I will most likely test the theory out.

I of course wondered if others on MFP, had any success with RS and tried them.

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I guess I don't get why people want to reduce the calorie content of their food. If food has fewer calories that just means you will be hungrier after consuming it than had it had the original calories. All reducing calorie content of food is doing is ruining food. I mean if you want to reduce the calorie content of your food you could always just burn it...that would do it.

IMO, most people over-simplify the science of fat loss and over-complicate the practice...
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I guess I don't get why people want to reduce the calorie content of their food. If food has fewer calories that just means you will be hungrier after consuming it than had it had the original calories. All reducing calorie content of food is doing is ruining food. I mean if you want to reduce the calorie content of your food you could always just burn it...that would do it.

Depends on where the calories are sourced.

I'm not saying Keto here, but bear with me.

If I measure my salad dressing, instead of just drowning my food in it, I can get the same taste without consuming calories with little added nutritional value.

I can choose foods that use naturally occurring sugars instead of adding more sugar. (Why do food manufacturers need to add sugar to raisin bran?)

As someone who is on the edge of T2D, if not an actual diabetic, I am concerned about unnecessary sugars.

Note, I'm not saying don't eat sugar. What I'm saying is if I am eating carbohydrates, I need to get more than just sugars from that food. I need some other nutrients. I need vitamins and minerals too, not just sugar.

So no little chocolate donuts for breakfast. But I might have a banana or a bowl of fruit with my omelette that has peppers and onions in it.

It's also a time issue. I can consume 1000 calories in a much shorter time span than it takes me to burn it.

If I don't do much of anything other than run off at the mouth and jump to conclusions, it's takes me 10-12 hours to burn off that 1000 calories.

Exercising, it will probably take 90+ minutes to burn what I could eat in 5-15 minutes.

Since the goals, at the moment are to keep my fasting BG below 100 and lose another ~15 pounds on top of the ~50 already lost in the past 7 months, smart reduction of calories, especially empty sugar based calories is a priority.

If I do go to McDonalds, I'll have the apple slices instead of fries or hash browns.

The apples have fewer calories and still bring a decent amount of vitamins and minerals / calorie relative to the fries.

An Egg McMuffin and two bags of apple slices with a black coffee is a pretty good breakfast, FWIW.

=======================================================
    Edited to add hash browns and change fries to apples in the 2nd to last paragraph above.