Anyone with Barrett's esophagus?

Options
I have had BE for almost a year now, and I'm just trying to find others who suffer with this condition, or GERD. I also have hypothyroidism and my weight keeps going UP. I'm looking for others with the same condition for support and meal ideas :-)

Replies

• Sheks41191
    Sheks41191 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I suffer from GERD - I am convinced it is caused by my weight.

Had it in 2015 - lost 25kgs in 3 months as all i could stomach were protein shakes, it then went away.

Came back as I put weight back on last year, I've lost 0.2kgs short of 10kgs since Jan and experienced a near complete reduction in symptoms.

I am on Nexium 20mg once a day, I'm hoping that as I get my weight to a normal range i'll be able to be off the meds for good as they have long-term effects.

Currently i'm able to eat just about anything, only two things I have to avoid are ice cold water and anything spicy.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    The most effective treatment for me was prevention. I have a kidney transplant, so I don't want to take excess meds. Luckily, appropriate portions and meal sizes are free and have no disconcerting side effects!

Seriously, keep a food journal (I mean, you're already here), and make notes of when you get pain, as well as the severity. Adjust as necessary.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    My husband has BE and it makes him miserable. I believe he also has silent reflux triggering it but we are waiting for that to be diagnosed. He has to be very careful with what he eats and when. High acidity foods are avoided and if he has them it needs to be early before activity because if he sits or lies down after he will wake up sick as a dog the next day. He has his largest meal early in the day and a small dinner which seems to help.

I have Hashimoto’s thyroiditis but my condition is currently well managed. It was nearly impossible to lose weight before. It was also hard moving due to joint pain and sleeping. If your thyroid levels are off it can affect everything.

I did have GERD, developed when pregnant. It lasted until I reached a healthy weight and now it’s a non issue for me.

I agree with the food journal idea. Find out what your food triggers are. Also play with meal timing. While it’s irrelevant to weight loss it definitely affects GERD and BE