Are fitness trackers just a hindrance to my weightloss.....

Options
I literally just obsess over calories burnt/earnt etc and I'm still not bl**dy losing, I clearly (know) must be eating way more than I should but its beginning to drive me nuts now.

I literally fluctuate between 11st 8lb and 12st and have done since around Feb. Before fitness trackers I lost a normal 0.5-1.5lb per week by logging my exercise via just MFP and eating them back. In fact logging via MFP only made me go to the gym everyday because I'd save my workout calories for the weekend....Now with the fitbit I earn around "300" extra calories just by walking plus any on top through gym workouts which clearly means I must be eating more than what I should.

So say today I've "earnt" an extra 250 calories via fitbit and I haven't even been to the gym so I see that as "oooh an extra 250 to eat" whereas before fitbit I wouldn't log my steps and would still have my 1290 daily calorie intake and I would lose.

I'm going to try it for a few weeks and see if it helps me by only logging actual proper workouts via MFP and not relying on my fitbit.

Have anyone else found fitness trackers to be a hindrance to weight loss as opposed to being positive to they're weightloss journeys.

Replies

• Xkmaf2018X
    Xkmaf2018X Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I know lots of people don't eat back or maybe just eat back a percentage but when I see the "extra" calories there in front of me it kinda just makes me eat more (I believe) and I'm literally getting no where whereas before fitbits I was losing steadily and felt really good, now I just feel fat! Plus I love the gym and do classes such as Step, Fatburn, Running, StairMaster, Bodypump but as soon as I'm done working out I'm like "quick, sync the fitbit and lets see what I earnt", I was never like this before.

So should I maybe unsync my fitbit from MFP? and just logg my exercise via MFP?

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    if you aren't loosing, check your logging. let fitbit do it's thing and link it to mfp.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    If the way you were doing it before was working, I would go back to that method.

I don't let my Fitbit adjust my calories because I know it's horribly inflated. I know my TDEE is about 2800, via weighing/logging. Fitbit often says my TDEE is more than 500+ cals more than that. If I ate the adjustments it gave me I would wipe out my deficit, if not gain weight.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    while fitness trackers can be inaccurate, i would be more interested in what the food logging looks like. what is logged, what isn't? weighed or cups etc

my garmin tracker has been pretty accurate and i've successfully lost weight. when i stopped tracking my food is when i gained it back.

if there is any question, start eating half back and extrapolate from there
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I like my trackers because they give me a good idea of what my actual activity level is. Sunday is usually sedentary, and all other days are usually active to very active. This gives a good idea of how to setup my MFP settings. As far as workout cals, yeah they mostly overestimate in my experience and what you are doing by manual logging is a good idea. However, I like seeing the data, the heart rate, duration, pace etc that you get from a tracker. They are great reference to judge your performance of different workout types and give your self goals to shoot for. And they give you some good information about overall fitness from heart rate and sleep patterns as well. For instance, I know that over the last 2 year period, my resting heart went from high 70's to mid 50s. That's progress and it gives me motivation to keep going. But I also know that my restless sleep patterns need to improve. To your point tho, I trust my fitbit more than my Gear S3, however I prefer the way the data is imported to MFP from Gear S3. It seperates workout cals from step/ daily activity cals. But in either case I wouldn't eat all the calories back, but I've been doing this long enough to know whats going work and what isn't. There's some trial and error for sure. I had the same confusion as you and many, when I first tried to link my tracker data to my MFP account, but I already had an idea of what my actual target should be.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Xkmaf2018X wrote: »
    I know lots of people don't eat back or maybe just eat back a percentage but when I see the "extra" calories there in front of me it kinda just makes me eat more (I believe) and I'm literally getting no where whereas before fitbits I was losing steadily and felt really good, now I just feel fat! Plus I love the gym and do classes such as Step, Fatburn, Running, StairMaster, Bodypump but as soon as I'm done working out I'm like "quick, sync the fitbit and lets see what I earnt", I was never like this before.

So should I maybe unsync my fitbit from MFP? and just logg my exercise via MFP?

Eating extra calories for exercise is how MFP is designed. However, these extra calories are estimations. Some people find an activity tracker is a good estimation for them, and others find it's a poor one.

Activity trackers are generally good at measuring steps.....with lots of other activities it may not be doing a good job.

Adjust the numbers. If you know you aren't losing, eat back just a %.....not all of them. When you start losing again, you can "tweak" that % up or down to "dial in" your real calorie burns.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Studies have shown that people who use fitness trackers lose LESS weight than people who don't use them. So if you're not into it then I wouldn't bother.

http://bigthink.com/philip-perry/fitness-trackers-dont-help-you-lose-weight-and-genes-arent-to-blame-either-studies-proclaim
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

TynaBaby17 wrote: »
    Well if you really want to you could wear any of them all day under your shirt. But it's mainly for workouts. Why would you need to track your everyday walking around the office heart rate? That's basically your resting heart rate and the calories you burn there aren't really accountable for your dieting, those calories are accounted for in your activity level in MFP, so you shouldn't eat them back anyway.

So why have you recommended something completely irrelevant to the original post?
  • shanionie
    shanionie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    This just happened to me. I gain two pounds. I was eating way too many calories. I turned my steps off today and will now just input my exercises and have those be my true calories I can eat back. Any extra steps taken that were not from my tradmill or HIIT workouts will just be bonuses.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i totally stagnated when i tried to use a fitbit.

got rid of it, and scale started moving again.

lots of people love and swear by them, im just not one of them.
  • Jadub729
    Jadub729 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    it works well for me, I have my activity level set to sedentary but I get 15k steps a day. I eat a portion of those exercise calories. Losing 1lb - 1.5lbs a week