Scale Recommendations?

Options
I have a weight watchers branded scale that is the biggest piece of junk on the planet. My readings will change by 4-6 lbs in just seconds. Any recommendations for reliable, consistent scales?

Replies

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    It's a little pricey, but I love my FitBit Aria scale.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    +1 on the Aria. It logs my weight daily and allows you to view graphs of the progress. I can tell you my weight on any day since I bought it years ago. It also syncs to MFP.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    IF the scale is that variable, check your installation, and make sure it's actually flat and that you're actually standing on it in the same way every time.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I picked up a nice $20 scale from Target. Just find a reasonably priced one off Amazon or some other site with high customer satisfaction ratings. If you aren't happy with the purchase return it.
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    IF the scale is that variable, check your installation, and make sure it's actually flat and that you're actually standing on it in the same way every time.

Yes, it stays in the same flat vinyl floor spot and it’ll jump that much from getting on, getting off, and getting back on seconds later without changing anything.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options

Yes, it stays in the same flat vinyl floor spot and it’ll jump that much from getting on, getting off, and getting back on seconds later without changing anything.

If the floor has too much give you can go out and buy a single large stone tile and put the scale on that to see if it helps for a cheap fix.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »

If the floor has too much give you can go out and buy a single large stone tile and put the scale on that to see if it helps for a cheap fix.

Depending on age or installation method, vinyl can definitely have a lot of give and thus provide some level of variability. Especially if you're essentially "sticking it back down" by standing on it the first time.

An analog scale won't demonstrate the same issues. But also won't show the same level of precision... which is not the same as accuracy.

Try taking 3 or 4 measures in a row as an experiment. To see if the values continue to vary wildly or if they begin to converge.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I second the making sure your scale is on a hard flat surface. I had this odd instance once where the bathroom I keep my scale in was being remodeled (it was our downstairs half bathroom on the ground level) so I brought the scale to the upstairs bathroom and just changing the setting like that the scale went up 5 pounds. Scales don't like change.
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    Options

Depending on age or installation method, vinyl can definitely have a lot of give and thus provide some level of variability. Especially if you're essentially "sticking it back down" by standing on it the first time.

An analog scale won't demonstrate the same issues. But also won't show the same level of precision... which is not the same as accuracy.

Try taking 3 or 4 measures in a row as an experiment. To see if the values continue to vary wildly or if they begin to converge.

Now that I'm thinking about it I wouldn't be surprised if the vinyl is the issue, it's pretty soft. An analog scale is a good idea. I don't care about tracking tenths of a pound, I just want to confirm I'm going in the right direction.
  • change4char
    change4char Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have this weight gurus scale and I really like the app it connects to. https://www.target.com/p/appsync-smart-scale-with-body-composition-silver-weight-gurus/-/A-46790468
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    I really like my Aria too but even a good scale like that on a solid tile floor can give fluctuating readings.

I can make the readout change by over half a kg just be shifting the way I stand on it. Forward reads higher than backward. Right reads higher than left.

So I tend to take my readings leaning towards the heel of my left foot :smile: