Breakfast calories

Options
Hello, first of all I'm new here. My question is how many calories should I be eating at breakfast. I just totaled up what I ate and it came to 400 calories. Is this too much or should I be having my largest in the morning. Thanks for all input.

Replies

• jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    If you are staying within your calorie goal for the entire day, there's nothing wrong with 400 cals for breakfast.
  • blh_1010
    blh_1010 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    mine usually comes out to something like this -
    300 breakfast
    500 - lunch
    600 - supper
    100 - snacks

Only allowed 1500 a day on here (but I have heard it is ok to kind of fluctiate and maybe add i more later whenever you want,but just not too often). I try and make supper the largest because I don't eat after I have supper.
    Welcome here too! :) I just joined yesturday! :)
  • ChellieIrish
    ChellieIrish Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Hey there :flowerforyou:

As long as you stay within the cals then it's fine my favourite quote is "Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper"
  • ErinGiam
    ErinGiam Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Hey there :flowerforyou:

As long as you stay within the cals then it's fine my favourite quote is "Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper"

That is the quote to live by! I love it!!
  • monkeyfood
    monkeyfood Posts: 106
    Options
    I've tried to live by that quote but it just doesn't work for me. For some reason eating a lot in the morning makes me sick. One of the reasons why I'm heavy. I avoid breakfast and lunch and then come home and binge after work :( .. I'm trying now to just eat little meals all day instead of all my calories in one meal.
  • ChellieIrish
    ChellieIrish Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I've tried to live by that quote but it just doesn't work for me. For some reason eating a lot in the morning makes me sick. One of the reasons why I'm heavy. I avoid breakfast and lunch and then come home and binge after work :( .. I'm trying now to just eat little meals all day instead of all my calories in one meal.

For years I never ate breakkie only since joining here did that change :wink: It takes time for your body to adjust to getting food first thing start maybe by some fruit or a yoghurt and build it up :flowerforyou:
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I eat less than 250 calories for breakfast. I prefer to have calories for healthy snacks later in the day. I have very protein and fiber dense breakfasts though. Non fat greek yogurt, GG Scandinavian Brancrisps, and coffee with milk. Sometimes I add a little fruit and agave nectar to the yogurt, but that still only adds up to 250 cals.
  • turboandrea
    turboandrea Posts: 108
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!

I have a 300-something-calorie meal replacement shake every morning to get me started on my day. You should be able to look at my food diary to check out my schedule. I think it's completely reasonable to have 400 calories for breakfast and like everyone said, just stay within your limits. :)

For dinner, I like to have around a 500-calorie meal but that's because it's usually around my workout time. It feels weird eating a light dinner. The key to prevent weight gain is just to eat it far enough in advance so it doesn't sit in your stomach all night and get stored as fat.