Bananas

Options
vanmep
vanmep Posts: 406 Member
Does anyone know if the nutritional information for bananas is for the weight of a peeled or unpeeled banana?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It’s for the edible portion, so peeled
  • vanmep
    Options
    So if I am taking a banana to work , any ideas on how to estimate the weight?
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    Eat a banana at home and weigh the peel. Then when you weigh a new banana to take to work subtract the amount of the other peel. This would be pretty close so long as they are similarly sized bananas. Or peel your banana weigh it and put in in a plastic baggy to bring with you. I usually weigh my fruit, and subtract 10-20g to account for peels or cores, and run out the door.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    The peel on an 8 inch banana is going to be ~85-95 grams but if you want to be exact you have to do what @malibu927 said and haul it around with you.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    The peel on an 8 inch banana is going to be ~85-95 grams but if you want to be exact you have to do what @malibu927 said and haul it around with you.

I really didn't think it would be that high for a banana. Good to know. I just like to err on the side of high if I'm in a hurry or don't have access to my scale. :blush:
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Depends on how accurate you want to be. I would probably weigh several peels and then use the average weight of them, but yes, you'd need to weigh each and every peel if you wanted to be exactly right.

If you want to be exactly right:
    Put plastic box on kitchen scale, tare scale, put peeled banana in box. Record weight of banana.
    Tare scale. Add chocolate syrup. Record weight of syrup. (Optional, but recommended.)
  • gcminton
    gcminton Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

I really didn't think it would be that high for a banana. Good to know. I just like to err on the side of high if I'm in a hurry or don't have access to my scale. :blush:

Same. I'm not even close to a point where that kind of accuracy is needed, so I'm fine with weighing the whole thing and calling it good if I'm taking something like a banana or apple with me somewhere.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    vanmep wrote: »

You can weigh it before you leave for work, then bring the peel home and weigh it

This is what I do to. No guesstimate required then.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I have a scale at work to weigh the stuff I eat at work, sometimes including the edible portion of a banana.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,634 Member
    Options
    About 67% of an average banana's weight is edible. Better to weigh the individual banana's peal, of course.
  • mkyoungdds
    mkyoungdds Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I keep a small scale at work. If I take a banana or similar fruit with inedible peel for a snack where I won't have access to a scale (I haven't gotten to the point of carrying one in my purse-yet), I weigh the whole fruit at home and write the weight on the peel with a sharpie. Then, as mentioned above, stick the peel in a ziploc and bring it home to weigh the peel. I tend to buy fruit the same size (it helps with macro planning for the week) so I will on occasion estimate one banana based on the weight of another one of from the same bunch.
  • Leeah77MFP
    Leeah77MFP Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I’m pretty sure unpeeled science you don’t eat the outside
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    vanmep wrote: »

I just have a small food scale at work. People thought it was weird at first, but now they don't care.
  • Madelinec117
    Madelinec117 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I googled the question and found this answer: My average banana weighed 183 grams unpeeled, 116 grams peeled. 185/116=1.58. So, 2.25 pounds (1021 grams) of unpeeled banana = 1.43 pounds (647 grams) of peeled banana. My average banana (very average in the store, Dole brand) was 62.4% edible

It always amazes me what answers will pop up when googled. Hope this helps you.
  • farsteve
    farsteve Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    This thread has totally unpeeled my brain.
  • vanmep
    Options
    Thanks for all the answers! I guess I will haul banana peels around for a bit until I get a good idea of average. Hope my coworkers don’t see my banana with writing on it :wink:
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I have a banana just about every morning and weigh it. If I take one with me from the same bunch and it is about the same size, I just use the same weight again. I might be off 5-10 calories. That's not going to make or break my day.