13»

Replies

• WillingtoLose1001984
    WillingtoLose1001984 Posts: 240 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    TrinityR05 wrote: »
    Do they track when you weight train too or are they mostly for cardio workouts?

What do you mean by "track"? They will all track movement/activity, so in that sense, yes. Only some/few actually have a strength training activity mode, and who knows how accurate the calorie burn estimates are.

The calorie burns on my gamin are pretty outrageous. I decided last week to ignore that feature. I have a vivosmart hr. I may be able to change that somehow though. Everything else is pretty great!

Also when I compare my treadmill to the steps on my gamin it counts an extra lap so .75 mile on treadmill is 1 mIle on my garmin.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

What do you mean by "track"? They will all track movement/activity, so in that sense, yes. Only some/few actually have a strength training activity mode, and who knows how accurate the calorie burn estimates are.

The calorie burns on my gamin are pretty outrageous. I decided last week to ignore that feature. I have a vivosmart hr. I may be able to change that somehow though. Everything else is pretty great!

Also when I compare my treadmill to the steps on my gamin it counts an extra lap so .75 mile on treadmill is 1 mIle on my garmin.
    Not sure if all Garmins offer it, but my 935 has an option for “Calibrate and save” when completing/saving a treadmill workout. You can enter the mileage from the treadmill and Garmin will compensate for it accordingly.
  • WillingtoLose1001984
    WillingtoLose1001984 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Not sure if all Garmins offer it, but my 935 has an option for “Calibrate and save” when completing/saving a treadmill workout. You can enter the mileage from the treadmill and Garmin will compensate for it accordingly.

I'll look into that. Thanks for sharing!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    Yes, Garmin is not so good for any social/group stuff. For running & cycling, Strava's site (it will auto-pull from Garmin server) is really nice. (It will group together and show every other strava person who was on your route, along with flyby's that will show where everyone was when; also segments where you can compete on time).

And where the secret military bases are :)

I use Strava and it does seem to fill the "social" side of it fine for me.

It also allows you to trim the run from Garmin, If for example you forgot to tap stop before you drove home from your hike/race.

A feature Garmin still has not added.

If you ever need to do this in Garmin land, you can export an activity as GPX or TCX, delete it from Connect, edit the file by hand or with a tool, and then upload it as a new activity.

A trim tool would be neat, but it's good to at least have a workaround vs not having it.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    I had four Fitbits over the years (one, flex, charge hr, blaze), but they all stopped working. Got a Garmin Vivoactive 3 for Christmas and I love it.
  • gregholmes1974
    gregholmes1974 Posts: 28 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Interesting question and interesting replies - never knew Garmin was so highly thought of.

Would you also recommend over an apple watch ?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Interesting question and interesting replies - never knew Garmin was so highly thought of.

if you are an apple person, why not stick with apple?

i am not an apple person so i did not see a reason to add the apple world to my current technology
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Having owned both (and being a fan of Apple products), my answer would be "it depends". I wore an Apple Watch every day for a year, switched to a Garmin 935 and have been wearing it every day for the past 8 months.

The Apple Watch is an outstanding smartwatch with decent fitness features; the Garmin is an outstanding fitness watch with decent smartwatch features. The Garmin has far better battery life and the software side of things is much more advanced than Apple's workout app (more/better data, cloud-based and can be accessed from watch, phone, iPad or computer).

If you lean heavily upon the Apple smartwatch/iPhone ecosystem (making phone calls from your watch, answering text messages/e-mails, accessing your calendar, etc.), you'd feel limited by a Garmin. If you favor fitness/activity features and can live with more limited smartwatch features, I think the Garmin is a better choice.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    ^ What he said.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Never tried the vivosmart but I'm a long time Garmin user (Forerunner multi-sport models)
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options

Garmin a million times.

And that's before stating that I'm Android only. The first ones didn't even have GPS. I need much more advanced features that Apple doesn't offer and Garmin offers in cheaper watches.
  • cleesus
    cleesus Posts: 87 Member
    Options

I have been using an apple watch for over two years and it has been going well for me ask far as tracking running and HIIT workouts. I really like the ability to stream music from it and control my music from it while running or working or since its quicker or easier than using my iphone.

I think its a great option if you dont mind paying the price for one, the 2nd gen has gps built in and goes for under $200 on sale.

The Garmin would be cheaper and have all the features and integrations with apps and services that anyone would need if you dont need all the extra stuff an apple watch does.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

That becomes an ecosystem question, rather than device. I'm not an Apple user, so a watch in isolation would be very limited value for me. Garmin beats it hands down. If I were an Apple user then I'd be in a different place around what the device adds.

I have a Garmin Tri- watch:
    • running - connects to a Footpod and HRM Tri using ANT+ so I get GPS, HR, vertical oscillation, cadence, L/R balance, ground contact time
    • cycling - connects to HRM, pedal cadence, speed sensor and power meter so I can get GPS, HR, cadence, speed and L/R balance
    • Swimming - connects to HRM Swim so I get HR (post activity upload), stroke rate, stroke distance, GPS if outdoors

What I don't get is particularly sophisticated notification handling, or the ability to use it for voice. Neither of those matter to me.