Stomach enzymes increase calories in meat and starch?

Options
Orphia
Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
A chef is telling me stomach enzymes increase calories in cooked meat and starch.

Is this true, and if so, what percentage would it increase calorie counts?

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    A chef is telling me stomach enzymes increase calories in cooked meat and starch.

Is this true, and if so, what percentage would it increase calorie counts?

Did he explain the mechanism for how that might happen? If I'm understanding you correctly, he's saying that stomach enzymes create more energy than the food ingested. I don't see how that's possible, unless I'm misunderstanding the whole thing. :)
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    I mean if you squint really hard and turn it upside down you might be able to see a hint of truth in there but it is a stretch. Without a lot of added detail suffice to say that the practical answer is in terms of diet it is an irrelevant point and it certainly does not turn the 100 calories written on the package into 150 calories...that is impossible. It also isn't somehow specific to just meat and starch.

I can get into it if you want but maybe when I'm not on my phone.

But isn't there a waste factor that would offset it with the breakdown of the protein and fat?

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I mean if you squint really hard and turn it upside down you might be able to see a hint of truth in there but it is a stretch. Without a lot of added detail suffice to say that the practical answer is in terms of diet it is an irrelevant point and it certainly does not turn the 100 calories written on the package into 150 calories...that is impossible. It also isn't somehow specific to just meat and starch.

But isn't there a waste factor that would offset it with the breakdown of the protein and fat?

Are you thinking of the TEF (Thermic Effect of Food)?
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »

Are you thinking of the TEF (Thermic Effect of Food)?

No. I am thinking of straight up waste. My human biology is a little out of date but from what I remember the body is not 100 percent efficient in converting food to energy.
  • mph323
    Options

I'm having a little trouble getting past the notion that he's the first person ever to have done a deep dive into the potential calorie difference between cooked and raw food. I mean, really?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

I'm having a little trouble getting past the notion that he's the first person ever to have done a deep dive into the potential calorie difference between cooked and raw food. I mean, really?

Being a veteran of the raw vegan community (not the Freelee subtype) I can assure you that it's a well-trodden path. It was one of the reasons I tried eating that way. I will say that I really enjoyed eating that way -- very much so -- but it wasn't sustainable simply because it was so labor intensive and I happened to be doing it just when fuel prices skyrocketed and food costs went up as well. Our food budget couldn't handle that much fresh produce for me on top of the family's meals.
  • mph323
    Options

Being a veteran of the raw vegan community (not the Freelee subtype) I can assure you that it's a well-trodden path. It was one of the reasons I tried eating that way. I will say that I really enjoyed eating that way -- very much so -- but it wasn't sustainable simply because it was so labor intensive and I happened to be doing it just when fuel prices skyrocketed and food costs went up as well. Our food budget couldn't handle that much fresh produce for me on top of the family's meals.

Yeah, I was pretty sure it was already well-studied. Probably by people who didn't have to hang out with the chimps to get that particular brainstorm.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

Gotta say that reads like the writings of an inventor who just had a breakthrough in his garage with the help of his friend where they discovered how to generate propetual motion despite what all those naysayers in the scientific community said.

Call me skeptical...especially given none of the links in the article seem to go to any actual study and it was published in the blog section of an online magazine. Discovery magazine is not a scientific publication in case there was any confusion there and I doubt their blog page has any vetting at all.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Back in the day, many moons ago when I took chemistry, I was led to believe that calorie counts were calculated by incinerating the foods in question. Is that not the case? Wouldn't that count as cooking?
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Back in the day, many moons ago when I took chemistry, I was led to believe that calorie counts were calculated by incinerating the foods in question. Is that not the case? Wouldn't that count as cooking?

Depends how long you like your steak on the grill I suppose.

They use a bomb calorimeter. Companies can also use standardized data for the ingredients in their recipes instead of lab testing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calorimeter#Bomb_calorimeters
  • kpsyche
    kpsyche Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Food energy can increase after cooking and it's due to cooking making certain things more bioavailable; in fact some research papers suggest that we have genetically evolved to get more energy from cooked foods.

E.g.
    https://academic.oup.com/gbe/article/8/4/1091/2574082

I suspect that the 2 studies below led to the focus being on meat and starches. They basically say (summarised by the article above):

Cooking enhances nutrient digestibility and reduces diet-induced thermogenesis, thereby substantially increasing the energy gained from important hominin foods like meat and tubers

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19732938
    http://www.pnas.org/content/108/48/19199.short
  • Orphia
    Options
    I'm wondering whether these people are confused about how the same weight of cooked food has more calories than the same weight of uncooked food due to the water content in the uncooked food.
  • Orphia
    Options
    Fantastic reply, Aaron. Thank you very much.