Help not losing weight

Options
2»

Replies

• perrincauthon
    perrincauthon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    vallary14 wrote: »
    I’m perplexed how one is able to function let alone be active on 1200 calories a day. Curious what that looks like and besides weight loss how it feels?

I have been on 1000-1200 per day since last September, doing a medically supervised weight loss program. I was getting three shakes/puddings per day, 200 calories each, for breakfast, lunch, and second lunch. Than i get 300 calories of protein and 100 calories of veggies for dinner. I walked briskly for about hour and a half per day. Lost about 70 pounds and I am now being weaned off the program as I am almost at my goal weight. Almost all of my vitamins/nutrients came from the shakes.
  • sranagan
    sranagan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If your BMR was 1500 cal/day and you were lightly mobile in your daily routine but didn't exercise at all, maybe that brings your total daily calorie burn to around 1700 cal/day. -1000 cal/day to lose 2lbs per week = you need to eat 700 calories per day... If you work out and burn 500 calories you should eat 500 more calories = 1300 consumed calories per day.

The above is informational and not a healthy way to lose weight. If your only 20 pounds overweight, you should shoot for .5 a week weight loss. That means you should realistically consume 1450 accurate calories per day and also consume 100% calories burned through exercise. So if you are a fitness instructor and burn 1000 calories while at work, you should consume 2450 calories that day.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    briscogun wrote: »
    This thread makes my head hurt..

"I'm not losing weight doing what I've always done."

"Do you weigh and measure your food? Otherwise how do you know what you are really taking in?"

"I've never done that, why now?"

"Because you said you aren't losing weight."

"You're right, I'm probably exercising TOO much so I'm holding onto fat."

"I'm sorry, what?"

You came here looking for answers, you've been advised like 10 times what the issue is. a) you are probably not accurately logging your food and eating way more than you think you are. Great that it worked years ago, but it ain't working now and, b) you are probably over estimating your workout burns as well.

For the record: you're metabolism does not slow down if you eat too little.
    Eating more does NOT = losing weight. If you eat no calories for days and weeks it will slow down eventually because you will be dead. Second, your body does not "hold onto fat" if you exercise a lot. There is no gene that goes, "Golly we are working a lot! I better make some fat and store it... HERE!". Your body will burn fuel that you give it and in the absence of fuel it will use stored resources, including fat, muscle, and more.

How does the definition of insanity go? You keep doing the same thing over and over expecting different results? Use the chart that was posted, that will give you the best place to start. Just keep an open mind and be willing to try something different in order to get a different result. People here have succeeded doing the things they are recommending to you. I promise it will be worth it!

Hope this doesn't come off as too cranky... ;) Good luck!

Well actually it does. It just doesn't slow down all that much.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    briscogun wrote: »
    This thread makes my head hurt..

"I'm not losing weight doing what I've always done."

"Do you weigh and measure your food? Otherwise how do you know what you are really taking in?"

"I've never done that, why now?"

"Because you said you aren't losing weight."

"You're right, I'm probably exercising TOO much so I'm holding onto fat."

"I'm sorry, what?"

You came here looking for answers, you've been advised like 10 times what the issue is. a) you are probably not accurately logging your food and eating way more than you think you are. Great that it worked years ago, but it ain't working now and, b) you are probably over estimating your workout burns as well.

For the record: you're metabolism does not slow down if you eat too little.
    Eating more does NOT = losing weight. If you eat no calories for days and weeks it will slow down eventually because you will be dead. Second, your body does not "hold onto fat" if you exercise a lot. There is no gene that goes, "Golly we are working a lot! I better make some fat and store it... HERE!". Your body will burn fuel that you give it and in the absence of fuel it will use stored resources, including fat, muscle, and more.

How does the definition of insanity go? You keep doing the same thing over and over expecting different results? Use the chart that was posted, that will give you the best place to start. Just keep an open mind and be willing to try something different in order to get a different result. People here have succeeded doing the things they are recommending to you. I promise it will be worth it!

Hope this doesn't come off as too cranky... ;) Good luck!

Well actually it does. It just doesn't slow down all that much.

ben-stiller-touche.gif