Weighting edamame

Semele0
Semele0 Posts: 114 Member
Hi, this may sound silly, but I've recently bought frozen edamame, and I'm wondering, do I weight them frozen, unfrozen with their pod, or do I subtract the weight of the pod?
Usually I weight only the edible part of fresh food, but I also weight frozen food while still frozen, so in this case I don't know what to do. On the label it is not specified if the cals for 100 gr refers to frozen, unfrozen, or just the edible part... Thanks!

Replies

• EatLikeAHuman
    EatLikeAHuman Posts: 30 Member
    For podless, frozen edamame, I've found it actually weighs the same before and after boiling.

If you're using pods, what I would do is weigh them, cooked, with the pods on. After eating your tasty edamame, weigh the empty pods, and subtract their weight from the original. Then you have the weight of only the cooked beans. :)
  • Semele0
    Semele0 Posts: 114 Member
    Thanks, this is the first thing I thought too, but then I wonderend if maybe the calories specified in the package were meant to be for 100 gr of edamame with the pods on.
    The problem is not how do I weight this, but, the cals are meant for 100 gr of the whole pods or for 100 gr of just the beans?