Too much or too little? Crossfitters needed

Options
I've been logging for 4 weeks, crossfitting 4 days/week for 3 weeks and experimenting with my calorie intake. Yes, I weigh and measure everything! My diary is open.

I started at 1500 c/day and I was starving! Did that for a week and then I upped it to 1750 (been there for about 3 weeks) and I'm less starving (still hungry AF tho) and the scale has not budged!

158... week after week... the scale says 158. Zero change. 158... I'm seeing it in my nightmares.

So, am I eating too much and sabatoging myself or too little and starving myself?

I'm 5'5", 32 years old, TDEE is about 2000 calories according to various online calculators. I am tracking body fat and inches (no change) and my clothes don't feel loose. I have no visible signs of progress.

Please help!

Replies

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    You don't gain or maintain weight by eating too little, so that's not the issue.

Are you sure your scale is working properly? If so, then it's only been 4 weeks. With a new exercise schedule and making dietary changes at the same time, water weight fluctuations are normal.

Keep taking your measurements. If you're consistent and patient you'll see results soon.
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    In my non-expert opinion, I would say it appears that you are eating at a maintenance level. Since you are doing crossfit, have you at least noticed progress there? Certain moves getting easier, lifting heavier, etc.

I'm 5'4", 29 years old, CW 163 and I go to crossfit 3x a week. I found that with eating around 1500 cal/day, I was losing .5 lb/week. To get that extra .5 lb/week I have been adding running the last few weeks which I find burns fat better than crossfit for me. I knew eating less wouldn't work for me, so that is why I added the extra cardio sessions.
  • DanielleTake2
    DanielleTake2 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Ok, thanks all. Sorry to seem impatient-- I just didn't want the post to get buried. I appreciate all of your insights.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    definitely not starving - if you were starving you'd be losing like crazy! as others said - patience!
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    If your TDEE is 2000 calories then eating at a 250 cal deficit a day will result in a 0.5lb a week loss (1750cal deficit). This can be so easily masked by water weight, TOM, DOMS, food in your system etc. You certainly need to give it more time to see a downward trend. I fluctuate my 0.5lbs between daily weigh ins, if not more. Trust the process and give it time for such a small rate of loss (that is entirely appropriate BTW!) I understand the hungry feeling as I cut my calories for a month before my holiday from 2200 to 1700 which should have had me lose a couple of kgs (4ish 1lbs) but only a kg of that actually materialised long term because of the timescales in which i was trying to measure.

Experiment with what you eating: consider lots of volume foods like vegetables where you can get a whole lot for only a few calories. I long ago swapped rice for cauliflower rice during calorie restriction as you get lots of volume for a tiny amount of calories. It also takes time to adjust to a new eating regieme.

Good luck and stick with it. The results will appear.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    When you said how many calories you’re eating it looks like a consistent daily amount. Are you logging and eating a portion of exercise calories the days you work out? I know on the days I do my gym workouts (1hr weights followed by 1hr boxing) I eat 300-500 more calories because my body really does need more those days to fuel the activity. I don’t do CrossFit but I think the weight lifting and boxing are probably similar on the body. There is always a conditioning section in our boxing too with things like box jumps and battle ropes

Play with your macros. This is very individualized, different combinations make people feel more satisfied longer.

I eat 1500-2000 a day depending on activity and am never that hungry anymore since figuring out which macros work best for me. Proteins and fats keep me full longer than most types of carbs. An example day -

Breakfast: Black coffee, 2 eggs, piece of fruit or black coffee and protein enriched oatmeal with some dried fruit mixed in and sometimes some nuts

Lunch: my husband is a chef who makes balanced “Fit meals” so he makes my lunch usually. All are 350-450 cals and protein centric with some steamed veg and starch added. If he doesn’t pack my lunch it’s usually a protein shake I make or I’ll go to jamba and get a smoothie

Snacks: typically avocados, nuts, protein bar, or yogurt

Dinner: changes all the time based on how many calories I have left, how active I was that day, and what we have at home to prepare
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I've been logging for 4 weeks, crossfitting 4 days/week for 3 weeks and experimenting with my calorie intake. Yes, I weigh and measure everything! My diary is open.

I started at 1500 c/day and I was starving! Did that for a week and then I upped it to 1750 (been there for about 3 weeks) and I'm less starving (still hungry AF tho) and the scale has not budged!

158... week after week... the scale says 158. Zero change. 158... I'm seeing it in my nightmares.

So, am I eating too much and sabatoging myself or too little and starving myself?

I'm 5'5", 32 years old, TDEE is about 2000 calories according to various online calculators. I am tracking body fat and inches (no change) and my clothes don't feel loose. I have no visible signs of progress.

Please help!

If you're TDEE is in fact 2,000 calories and you're eating 1750, that would put you at .5 Lb per week deficit. I have done this when I'm training and don't want my performance to suffer but still wanting to cut some weight and the difficult part of having such a small deficit is that it can take a couple of months to see much of anything because your natural weight fluctuations will mask such a small loss.

Having such a small deficit is also hard because there's basically no margin for error and even when you're trying to be as accurate as possible, there are just inherent inaccuracies in calorie counting.

If it were me, I'd go with a larger deficit and then play with your macros in regards to your hunger.
  • DanielleTake2
    Options
    Thank you all, so much!!! This is so helpful.
  • DanielleTake2
    Options
    ... and the difficult part of having such a small deficit is that it can take a couple of months to see much of anything because your natural weight fluctuations will mask such a small loss.

Having such a small deficit is also hard because there's basically no margin for error and even when you're trying to be as accurate as possible, there are just inherent inaccuracies in calorie counting.

If it were me, I'd go with a larger deficit and then play with your macros in regards to your hunger.

THIS! This makes sooooooo much sense. Thank you so much!
  • DanielleTake2
    Options

Measure - yes. Weigh - No. Most of your food logging is by volume (1 cup strawberries, 1/2 cup roasted carrots) or by piece (2 eggs, 1 banana, 1/2 med avocado). Weighing by ounce or by gram is much more accurate. Those "2 eggs" could range from 45-60+ grams each, a combined caloric difference of 44 calories. That "1/2 med avocado" is calorie dense and the logging inaccuracy could be significant.

Those small inaccuracies can negate any perceived reductions in caloric intake.

I hear you. And I understand, on an intellectual level, that this is a science - and accuracy matters. But, I have to admit... I'm a bit skeptical of weighing everything (even though I know people swear by it) because... honestly... did any of us get fat by eating an extra ounce of baby carrots? Or 2 extra grams of hard-boiled eggs?

I'm trying to balance getting results with making realistic changes I can stick to long term.

I'm thinking about that awful book that came out a few years ago called "French women don't get fat." Essentially, I'm fat because I have a fat person's mentality: FOOD IS THE ENEMY and if I eat it I should hate myself. And I'd really like to develop a healthier relationship with food. Food is something to be enjoyed in moderation.

I'm really just venting here. NOT trying to offend anyone or sound like I know better (because I don't.) Just spitballin'