Calorie changes when bulking/cutting.

Options
How many calories does everyone recommend to add and to minus when clean cutting and bulking? I have been adding 250 while bulking until I hit a plateau and then I add a further 250 and I have found that works okay for me.. I’ve found you put weight on at a good manageable rate this way.
I’m yet to do a cut but I think I’m going to try the same first and see how it goes so that’s taking off 250 calories from maintenance on a cut too. I’m considering after trying the minus 250 calories this time of trying a cut of minus 500 calories next year sometime to understand what’s best when cutting.

What works best for all of you and why?

Replies

• Riff1970
    Riff1970 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Your strategy is just what I try to do. 250 calories and if the results slow down, bump the calories up another 200 or so.

I would think there’s a limit on the cutting side though. I have a friend who’s 150 and cutting. He’s down to 1300 calories a day and not really as lean as he wants to be. I told him don’t cut calories anymore and bump up cardio by 5 or 10 minutes to see if he gets results. It could be his genetics and he just won’t look as lean as he wants to.
  • kazane1
    kazane1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Riff1970 wrote: »
    Your strategy is just what I try to do. 250 calories and if the results slow down, bump the calories up another 200 or so.

I would think there’s a limit on the cutting side though. I have a friend who’s 150 and cutting. He’s down to 1300 calories a day and not really as lean as he wants to be. I told him don’t cut calories anymore and bump up cardio by 5 or 10 minutes to see if he gets results. It could be his genetics and he just won’t look as lean as he wants to.

Yeahh sounds like a good general rule of thumb really, and yeah I think your mate needs to just add in more cardio instead of cutting out too many calories because 1300 is really low in my opinion.
  • kazane1
    kazane1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options