Is it wrong to feel no sympathy?

ayson9
ayson9 Posts: 18 Member
This title sounds douche, I know. But here me out.

I have a friend, he isn’t obese but, for a person who is the same height as me, similar ethnicity and build type, I weigh around 160, he weighs at 190-200.

He always complains about his weight but does nothing to change it.

He would attempt to workout with me, and state that he’s gonna be on track and gonna stick to his diet.

I even laid out some tips and beginner tricks to assist in his diet and training.

But later he starts to not show up, not follow a diet and retreats back into his old ways.

I understand that there is ups and downs, but for him to attempt this “change my life” pattern and quit after roughly 7-8 times already.

I don’t tease, I don’t guilt trip, I tell him that if he wants to change, don’t let me guilt you into it, but change because you want to change for the better. I don’t nag or diss him about not showing up to the workouts that we had planned to do.

But I can no longer feel supportive or sympathize with his need to wanting to lose weight, but keeps quitting.

I’ve been his friend for over 10 years, and I know that this type of roller coaster he’s on isn’t gonna be best for him in the long run. Of course I’m in no position to judge or determine what’s best, but I’m just thinking in a realistic standpoint that self destructive patterns isn’t ideal for life longevity and quality.

Am I mean to no longer feeling sympathy or have the need to provide support?

Hope this doesn’t sound douche, I really don’t mean for this post to instigate that.

Replies

• NerdyFlex
    NerdyFlex Posts: 1,672 Member
    It was good of you to try and help him, but it is possible that there are circumstances in his life that he copes with via his current lifestyle?

What I mean is this... I do great at logging and tracking my food. I want to be and look a certain way... but when I am under extreme stress (work, home, financial, whatever), my comfort is food. My comfort is couch.

Sometimes, if that feels overwhelming - it totally overrides my desire to track my food and activity... and while I still WANT to look better and feel better... my energy (physical and emotional) to do what is needed is insufficient.

What @nergyflex said is right... he won't change unless he truly wants it... but that want needs to eclipse the need to continue as is for whatever reason.

people will only change when the pleasure of changing becomes too appealing to resist, or the pain of not changing becomes too difficult to handle.

Just keep being his friend. You don't need to sympathize, and you don't need to fix... just be there.

Exactly! She said it way better than I did!
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,673 Member
    NerdyFlex wrote: »
    It was good of you to try and help him, but it is possible that there are circumstances in his life that he copes with via his current lifestyle?

What I mean is this... I do great at logging and tracking my food. I want to be and look a certain way... but when I am under extreme stress (work, home, financial, whatever), my comfort is food. My comfort is couch.

Sometimes, if that feels overwhelming - it totally overrides my desire to track my food and activity... and while I still WANT to look better and feel better... my energy (physical and emotional) to do what is needed is insufficient.

What @nergyflex said is right... he won't change unless he truly wants it... but that want needs to eclipse the need to continue as is for whatever reason.

people will only change when the pleasure of changing becomes too appealing to resist, or the pain of not changing becomes too difficult to handle.

Just keep being his friend. You don't need to sympathize, and you don't need to fix... just be there.

only cuz I took 10x as many words to say it! :laugh:
  • NerdyFlex
    NerdyFlex Posts: 1,672 Member

That’s good though! Like the profile pic btw! Wonder Woman>>>
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    It's ok to feel dead on the inside...you can not control everything, more so for other people. You have good intentions
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,673 Member

That’s good though! Like the profile pic btw! Wonder Woman>>>

Thank you! I think it may be one of my favs!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Well he isn't you. He doesn't need your help to lose weight nor does he need exercise. He needs a very easy path to get from point a to b when he is ready to try again. Comparing himself to you and trying to do what you do is obviously a path of failure for him.

Next time he is ready point him towards MFP and if he needs any help he can ask this forum.

Beyond that just be his friend like you always have.
  • cnorwood2519
    cnorwood2519 Posts: 2 Member
    I've been where you are with a friend. It is hard to see someone else either staying in bad shape or even destroying themselves by overeating like a friend of mine is doing, especially when you know there's a proven formula for getting away from that.
  • theowlbox
    theowlbox Posts: 912 Member
    I think that you can still have compassion for his situation. It must be hard to be overweight, to not know how to get himself into a successful position or to not be able to get himself into a successful position. But you can reduce your involvement in his choices. He will let you know when and if he needs help and if he asks you for it you can know that maybe those 10 failures helped him figure out how to succeed the final time. It's like quitting smoking. Everyone tries and fails until they quit trying or they figure it out. If you like him and care for him you can maintain compassion for him. But your feelings of frustration are yours. He doesn't owe it to you to succeed, and knowing him for 10 years and observing his behavior should have reigned in your expectations. Maybe maintain compassion and optomism, lower your expectations and let him have his own experience. He doesn't need sympathy but maybe compassion that he is part of the millions of overweight people in the world who are fighting the same issues. And let yourself off the hook for feeling frustrated. It happens. But every friendship has it's issues. Maybe he wishes you would quit changing your major and stop wasting time with a degree that won't help your future. He sees the future yawning ahead of you with financial insecurity and family resentment! He doesn't get to change that or when you date someone he knows is bad for you! This is no different in a way. If you kept crying to him about how no one wanted your degree in aquatic bird calls, you would expect him to cheer you and help you and be supportive, right? Would it be helpful for him to yell: I TOLD YOU WHEN WE WERE 20 NOT TO DO IT!
    Tldr: this is someone you care about, and this is what long term friendship with a person looks like. Be compassionate but take yourself out of it when you don't have anything positive to give. Best of luck.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Sounds like he hasn't had that "last straw" moment. I had it when I hit size 42 pants--something clicked and then had determination I never had before. It's different for everyone. It might help him to peruse the conversation threads here to see all the similar struggles folks have and the advice they are getting. Part of frustration is having unrealistic expectations. If he learned more about what it takes to reduce and/or get in shape he might not get frustrated and quit so easily. Accept him as is, ignore his complaints, provide information.
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 831 Member
    I think your best bet for not feeling like you have to help fix this is when he complains simply say “and what do you plan to do about it?” Simple, kind, a reminder that he has to do tha work
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    It's not your body so it's not your problem. He clearly isn't ready to change. He'll do it when and if he's ready.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Well you are not being a douche at all. He hasn't been ready yet and it may or may not ever happen.

If I were you, the next time he makes a comment just say something like "When you are ready to fix this let me know so I can help." After that invest no more of your time (thoughts) on this. You need to worry about you and he will know where to find you when he is ready to change.
  • run4cover76
    run4cover76 Posts: 2 Member
    Just like the old saying goes...you can lead a horse to the water but you can't make him drink. Case in point. He will have to find the will power himself. Don't feel bad about it.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    I think many of us can relate to having a friend like that... he has to want it badly enough to make the necessary changes, but in the meantime you can keep encouraging him.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,267 Member
    All you can do is support your friend and hope he wants to turn his lifestyle around for the good and healthy. My family and several friends are all obese and I never ask them to lose weight or even suggest anything to them b/c they've never asked, but I am with you I don't feel sorry for them either. They are CHOOSING this lifestyle and I certainly can't change that for them.
    Just provide support and encouragement and know that you are a good friend for doing that. You can't change someone else, and it sounds like you already know that.
  • xWintersKnightx
    xWintersKnightx Posts: 59 Member
    Always show sympathy and compassion.

Sounds like that is what you are doing already. Keep up the good work, you are obviously a great friend.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    In this sphere of life, it sounds like you're his friend but he's not your friend.

If he's your friend in other life areas, then by all means, continue the friendship. If he's that much of a drain in the rest of life, just ease back out of his life.