IdealShake - thoughts?

Options
swanfam4
swanfam4 Posts: 41 Member
I'm thinking of trying IdealShake as a meal replacement. If you have any experience with that specific brand, I'd love to know your thoughts. Are they tasty? Favorite flavors?

Also, if there's a brand you like better, let me know!

Replies

• Micheleanderic
    Micheleanderic Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    They r delicious! I have chocolate peanut butter, egg nog, orange cream and cookies and cream. I mix with almond milk as a snack or add yogurt and a banana as a meal supplement. There was just a big sale on packages
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I like premier protein, but I don't use it as a meal replacement. I drink them as a snack on days that I need something quick. I have about 3 a week.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    At 12g of protein for 110 calories, the protein seems really low.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    fuzzylop72 wrote: »
    At 12g of protein for 110 calories, the protein seems really low.

Honestly, for a "meal replacement" shake, that's pretty typical. Most of the ones I've seen are around that much protein with more cals. Which is one of the reasons I've only ever used them as a snack replacement, not a meal replacement.

My mom bought a big tub of "meal replacement shake" powder and then didn't like it and gave it to me. It was 14g of protein and 120 cals per serving. I add a quarter of a serving of my own protein powder to it and use it as a snack, because I can't stand to see it go to waste.

OP, have you ever used meal replacement shakes before? For some of us, chewing is part of the satiation affect and shakes just don't cut it. So if you haven't before, don't get too big a package just in case that turns out to be the case for you. I've never used IdealShake personally, so I can't help you there.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Honestly, for a "meal replacement" shake, that's pretty typical. Most of the ones I've seen are around that much protein with more cals. Which is one of the reasons I've only ever used them as a snack replacement, not a meal replacement.

Ah. Vega one is the closest thing to a meal replacement shake i've used, and it has around 20g of protein (but they don't market it as a meal replacement product, even though nutritionally it's pretty similar to meal replacement products).
  • icecoffee29
    icecoffee29 Posts: 45 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I am currently using Isagenix... protein is 24 grams per serving or shake. I have snacks of about 100 calories on shake days. Hummus with carrots is good... apples... and one 400-600 calorie lunch or dinner... its just 2 replacement shakes and healthy snacks in between. The shake has a lot of plant base vitamins.. I actually feel better since starting. So I guess protein shakes can be helpful if you are like at work and cant get a good breakfast in. I have tried a few other plant based and dairy based as well with much less sugar and sodium than the Isagenix brand. hope this helps
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Isagenix is an MLM. >:( Why use a meal replacement in many cases is because you run short on time in the morning and want a nutritious breakfast without having to cook then sit down and eat.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    They can be useful for weight loss, but keep in mind if you plan to go back to eating whatever you ate before you started drinking the shakes, you'll just gain the weight back.

Why do you want to replace a meal? I love food so I don't understand this.

Technically it's not really replacing a meal since it IS a meal.. but usually the main reason is because it's quick, requires no weighing or calculation and many people don't have time to prepare and enjoy every meal.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    I am currently using Isagenix... protein is 24 grams per serving or shake. I have snacks of about 100 calories on shake days. Hummus with carrots is good... apples... and one 400-600 calorie lunch or dinner... its just 2 replacement shakes and healthy snacks in between. The shake has a lot of plant base vitamins.. I actually feel better since starting. So I guess protein shakes can be helpful if you are like at work and cant get a good breakfast in. I have tried a few other plant based and dairy based as well with much less sugar and sodium than the Isagenix brand. hope this helps
    Unless you're going to do this the rest of your life, it's a TEMPORARY fix. Ever wonder why people regain on liquid diets? It's because they didn't learn how to eat solid food calories that equaled the same. And if the response is "well I am learning" then why do you need Isagenix at all?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    My thoughts: that it's not ideal.

I would never drink my meals unless I had to or felt like it. That's my own preference, though. I like everything food has to offer including taste, texture, memories, social connection, normalcy, sustainability...etc. I like to chew my food and I like getting a variety of nutrients from a variety of sources. That's why I think a shake, any shake, is not ideal as a meal replacement for me. YMMV
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you're using it. I'm semi-retired and going back to school full-time. During the school year, I usually do a shake as a meal replacement for lunch as the prices are ridiculous on campus. I just bring the powder in my shaker and add water from a fountain for a lunch for myself. When I'm not in school, I'll have a protien shake for breakfast as I'm never hungry in the morning, but I do need to eat something or I'll end up binging for lunch.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I used their shakes for a bit and they didn't fill me up AT ALL.