Trampoline

Options
Is the trampoline considered a good exercise? I know it’s low impact and obviously it’s cardio. Has anyone here ever used one as part of their exercise routine?

Replies

• Pastaprincess1978
    Pastaprincess1978 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    If you google trampoline calorie burn you'll get a heap of articles about how ppl used to think they burned like 1000cal an hour - but it's more like 500 which is still great. I love it! Particularly those indoor trampoline parks with my kids :)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about a big trampoline, or a rebounder?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    It can be very good for the muscles too (not like progressive lifting mind you) since every bounce every muscle is tugging and usually being tensed automatically.

Include actually using your muscles to spin and land and eventually flip - now you are talking.

I recall a book years ago that expounded on benefits of trampoline.
    Now, they incorrectly tried to take the acrobats doing the big ones down to the people at home using the rebounders - while some benefit that was a stretch.

But the acrobats are getting a good workout on just the trampolines for those that include nothing else.
    I recall talking to a couple muscular guys after a show and indeed they did no other workouts but show practice.
    Likely they would have been muscular doing whatever they happened to do - but still.
  • Pastaprincess1978
    Options
    A huge warehouse full of trampolines close together with padding between them plus swings and things you can climb up and jump off :)
  • Pastaprincess1978
    Options
    that's what I was talking about for calorie burn too
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Not a great deal, as gravity is doing a lot of the work.

http://www.mydr.com.au/tools/calories-burned-calculator

This calculator says a 5 ft 9 in / 175 cm, 215 lb / 100 kg, 45 year old male will burn 293 kcal / 1228 kJ in an hour on a trampoline.

Walking for the same amount of time burns more, at: 419 kcal / 1754 kJ