How often do you have cheat meals?

Options
I have one cheat meal Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Meaning if I use my cheat meal on Friday for lunch I’ll eat right for breakfast and dinner.

Replies

• lewiswinston22
    lewiswinston22 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Is that to many cheat meals?
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Depends. What are your goals- if you’re wanting to lose, are you managing to lose consistently? If so, you’re probably still hitting your calorie target over a weekly period, even if you go over a day or two. If you’re not losing but trying to, then your calories are probably over and you may want to reevaluate those cheat meals.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    likewise .... I dont have cheat meals, I just eat what I like and try to balance everything out so it hits my weekly calorie allowance.

this generally involves eating under on weekdays and eating over at weekends
  • Dee_D33
    Dee_D33 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Never. If I want something, I eat it, but I make sure to fit it within my calorie goals.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    I think I’ve had... two? Three? in the last nineteen months.

That’s meals where I’ve gone over my calorie budget. In all cases I was eating at a big event, or at someone else’s house. And I exercised and saved up some extra calories for it, so I didn’t go over too badly.

Otherwise, I just don’t feel the need. Almost anything I want can fit within my calories. Heck, I had a warm brownie and ice cream last night for 200 kcal. Why would I cheat my own weight loss?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i dont. i make what i want to eat fit, or eat at maintenance.

even when i have a day thats over maintenance, its not a big deal. a few days a year is not a big deal.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Dee_D33 wrote: »
    Never. If I want something, I eat it, but I make sure to fit it within my calorie goals.

This, but my weekly calories
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Do your 'cheat' meals fit in your calorie goals? Are they causing you to not remain in a deficit and derail your goals? Are you choosing to eat at maintenance and jut choose to lose slower?

If they fit your calories or you choose to eat at maintenance its not cheating and since its Friday, Sat and Sunday it sounds like you have created a 'diet' that is sustainable and allowing allowing variance in your weekly diet. The negative label you have given it is not necessary.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I never think of a meal as a cheat. I plan for occasions where we eat out and bank calories for that. Tonight I'm going out for Italian, I have done extra exercise this morning plus I eat at slight deficit on weekdays even in maintenance to have extra cals to work with at the weekend.
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    I eat more calories at the weekend than I do during the week. That's just personal preference. It doesn't matter if my current goal is to lose, maintain or grow I like to be able to do that.

However, you need to be careful that it's not just an excuse to blow out every weekend. My training buddy starves himself Monday to Thursday then completely blows out Friday to Sunday and then *kitten* every morning that he can't shift his belly fat.......
  • Jadub729
    Jadub729 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I usually have a "cheat meal" for lunch on Friday and we almost always order take out once during the weekend...I do allow those two meals to put me over my calorie goal for the week. The rest of my meals are what I want to eat but portioned so that it fits my goals.