Do you get enough Potassium?

2»

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    It WAS: that effective July 26, 2018 the FDA required a new nutrition label on foods from manufacturers with sales over $10M. This new label is to include potassium.

Then in June of 2017 the FDA extended the date and has yet to state a new date for potassium (and other changes) to be required.

Some companies have already implemented the changeover on some products. All have not. Label readers have noticed the difference. In particular, calories per serving is in larger, bolder print.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    I am on a diuretic which lowers my potassium as well as kidney issues, so I track my potassium. If I am low I can tell - I get muscle cramps in weird places (like my jaw if I yawn!) and heart palpitations.

xdbwl7j993xk.png
  • louloubelle79
    louloubelle79 Posts: 2 Member
    I have started to take supplements due to suffering with restless leg syndrome which keeps me awake every night and read that can be caused by low potassium and B1. Partly due also I believe to the amount of running I do I'm not getting what I need. One banana a day not cutting it, I also eat lots of veg so believe I need some extra help. Since taking one week ago leg cramps have got better. Never really thought how Potassium can affect you, it supports your nervous system and muscles.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    The US has again delayed the ruling that Nutrition Facts labels include potassium. Even nationwide chain restaurants that do list nutrition data often don't have potassium listings. A recent ruling seems to be requiring restaurants to list nutrition, but until we see it I won't know what they list.
  • dougie69
    dougie69 Posts: 1 Member
    It is very important.

https://draxe.com/low-potassium/
  • tannerrobertson927
    tannerrobertson927 Posts: 3 Member
    Avocados are super high in potassium. Also, cream of tartar, find it in the spices section of the grocery store. Extremely high in potassium. I add a 1/4 tsp to water almost every day.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    In MFP, the USDA entries usually give potassium. In cases where I can't find accurate potassium listings in MFP, I Google the ingredient till I find what I need, then enter the missing potassium as "Potassium Pill", and the amount calculated. I'm lucky in liking lots of potassium-rich foods, so the numbers mount up nicely.